1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless no longer works

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rdkapp, Nov 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rdkapp

rdkapp Thread Starter

I've got an IBM ThinkPad 600X and I was connected wirelessly to the internet at a WIFI location when I discovered that I couldn't send an email from my ISP's Webmail site. After a google search, I discovered that I needed to upgrade Internet Explorer 6.0 with SP1. So I began with Windows Update and chose the proper upgrade. In the middle of the download, Windows Update stopped and gave me an error message with something about proxy server settings. It wouldn't let me continue the upgrade and now I can't access the internet anywhere. Windows Update placed a "Resume Windows Update Installation" file on my desktop, but when I click on it, it fails to continue because it is unable to find sites to download the update due to proxy server settings. I've checked all my network settings and my wireless is working fine, but when I open IE, it gives me the usual "The page cannot be displayed" and nothing I've tried works. This computer has no other access to the Internet, but wireless (there's no NIC port), so I'm having to research with my desktop. Can anyone help? Please?

2. kimmer13

kimmer13

release & renew your ip config: Win98 - Start/Run "winipcfg" OK, then make sure your wireless connection is showing in the drop down area, and click 'release' then 'renew' then 'ok'.
    winME/XP - Start/Run "command" OK, then type ipconfig /release_all & press ENTER,
    then type ipconfig /renew_all & press ENTER. Type exit to return to windows.

you should be ok now.

3. rdkapp

rdkapp Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Kimmer13. I do have Win98SE and I did release and renew the ip config (using winipcfg) while at the WIFI location, but it didn't help. Does it matter where I am when I do it?

4. kimmer13

kimmer13

as long as you do it where there is an active access point, it should have worked. but if there wifi went down (which i assume it either did, or interference occurred, because your connection was dropped), it may not have worked.

5. rdkapp

rdkapp Thread Starter

OK, since I have no wireless access at home, I'll have to go somewhere and try it again. I will post with the results. Thanks again.

6. rdkapp

rdkapp Thread Starter

Kimmer, it worked like a charm. I released and renwed my ip config, connected to the internet and completed the Windows update and everything's working fine. It just goes to show you that sometimes it's the simplest things. If I only would have tried to release and renew the ip config a few more times at the WIFI location, this would have all been unnecessary. Thanks again.

7. kimmer13

kimmer13

glad to help. have a great weekend !

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/297594

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice