1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless not working after swapping out the hard drive

Discussion in 'Networking' started by frazzledme, May 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. frazzledme

frazzledme Thread Starter

Recently, my computer fried and I had to get another. I bought the exact same model, and since the hard drive was salvagable, I moved it from the old laptop to the new one. Now, my wireless is not working. I have tried installing the drivers, but it still says no connections are available. My modem and router are working fine...but for some reason, the wireless is not picking up on the laptop anymore.

specs:
    windows 7 home premium, 64-bit
    Laptop: Compaq Presario CQ56-115DX
    Wireless card: Atheros AR9285

I've updated the drivers from the HP website...not sure what else to do? Any suggestions would be very, very helpful.

Oh and I tried connecting an external USB wireless connector and the laptop does not recognize this either. What is going on? :(

2. DerekC

DerekC

Welcome to TSG, Frazzledme.

The wireless cards in laptops usually have a wire antenna that connects to the card, then up through the side of the monitor. While swapping the hard drive, you may have accidently disconnected the wire from the card.

3. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

the laptop may not have the same hardware in and so using the harddrive without re-installing the software and chipset drivers can cause issues

lets see the following info

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Device Manager
    Post back the results in device manager
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC
    Start > control Panel {Vista set to classic view}> system > {Vista, device manager on left hand side} {XP hardware Tab, device manager button} >
    windows 7
    start > control panel> System and Security> Device Manager

network adaptors, click on the + > post back the devices listed there
    are there any ! ? or X

post a screen shot of the device manager - network adapters

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here
    Full details are here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Posting_a_Screenshot

Run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector Download and install
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC

http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifitools.php
    Direct link to the program is here http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifi_download_redirect.php
    Then run and install the program - on a wireless enabled PC/Laptop
    if you get an error - You need NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

Run the program

post a screen shot of the program running - if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information, and also post which network "Adapter Name" (1st column) is yours on the list

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
    Full details are here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Posting_a_Screenshot

Note:
    For a reliable (or robust as the Xirrus user guide says) wireless connection you need a signal of about -70 dBm or better.

If you are using the Mac OS then use http://www.istumbler.net/

ipconfig /all
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here

We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all post back the results in a reply here

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD then press Enter to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

ipconfig /all > network.txt & network.txt

It will export the results to notepad and then automatically open notepad.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results to a reply here
    to do that:
    From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Select all
    all the text will be highlighted
    Next
    From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Copy
    Now go back to the forum - reply and then right click in the reply box and paste

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/996569