1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless not working on Dell 1501

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jhowell24, Jan 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jhowell24

jhowell24 Thread Starter

All of a sudden my wireless adapter disappeared from my laptop. What should I do to get it back?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    can you explain disappeared a little more

Is it in device manager ?
    under network adapters

have you switched off the wireless - dells have a FN + F key to toggle the wireless on/off

on the machine should be a tag number, if you goto dell.com support site you should be able to use that tag number to get the drivers for the PC
    download the wireless adapter an re-instal

but a little more info on why you think it disappeared would be good

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If it's missing in Device Manager, I'd open the access door on the bottom of the machine and reseat the adaper. If that doesn't bring it back, it may have died.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type devmgmt.msc

Please respond to all the following steps.

1. Under Network adapters, please tell me all the devices listed.
    2. Are there any devices under Network adapters that have a red x displayed?
    3. Also, are there any devices anywhere in the Device Manager display with yellow ? or ! displayed?

4. warrior19

warrior19

The first thing to try is the Function key combination that turns your in built wireless on or off. On the Dell 1501 I think the key combination is the Blue 'Fn' key and 'F10' key at the same time! The symbol on the F10 key should look like an attenna with circles around the top...wireless symbol. If its not on 'F10' key look for this symbol on another Function key at the top of the keyboard!

Let us know if this works?

5. JohnWill

If it's missing in Device Manager, it's not simply turned off, that doesn't make it disappear from there. :)

6. jhowell24

jhowell24 Thread Starter

The only thing listed under Network Asapters is Broadcom 440x10/100 Integrated Controller. No wireless listed there.

7. jhowell24

jhowell24 Thread Starter

No that didn't work.

8. JohnWill

How about under Other Devices with an error, anything listed there?

Perhaps a screen shot of Device Manager would help us figure it out.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

9. jhowell24

jhowell24 Thread Starter

No it's not listed anymore under Device Manager/Network Adapter.
    Tried the FN F10 solution but it didn't work.

10. JohnWill

It's either loose in the socket or it's died.

11. warrior19

warrior19

Neat little trick on Dell's support website if you have a sticker on the laptop with the DELL 'Service Tag' it will list everything the laptop shipped with and compare it to what the laptop has now? Try this link.

http://support.euro.dell.com/suppor...s?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs&~tab=2&~ck=anavml

Might help you identify the wireless card installed at shipping and maybe try installing drivers once you know what it is?

12. warrior19

warrior19

In case my link posted above fails goto dell.com then support (top right) then pick system configuration.

13. jhowell24

jhowell24 Thread Starter

I opened the access door. Not sure what to do now. What do you mean my reseat it?

14. warrior19

warrior19

15. jhowell24

jhowell24 Thread Starter

Thanks the link worked and I can see what my computer shipped with. Now what do I do???

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/890186

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice