1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless not working

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by einstein999999, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. einstein999999

einstein999999 Thread Starter

Hello,

I am running a Toshiba Satellite A-135 S-4517 laptop with Vista SP1. This morning, I turned on my laptop and accessed the internet to do some research. After downloading some updates through Windows Update, I put my laptop into Sleep mode and did not touch it for the remainder of the day. A few hours ago, I turned my laptop on again and tried to get online. The wireless card was on, and I managed to connect to the school (I'm a student at a boarding school) network. The problem is, I could only access the Local network. I know that my IP address is not banned, because I booted into Ubuntu and was able to get online, and currently I'm on Vista and posting this through an Ethernet cord.

Device Manager lists 6TO4 (what on earth is that for?), Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 ABG Network Connection, Realtek RTL8101 Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0), and two VMware virtual adapters.

Is anyone else having this problem, and does anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You can try to delete the 6TO4 adapter (I don't know what it does other than sometimes cause trouble). For the wireless problem the first step, and maybe the only one needed, is to restart the PC.

3. rodeognome

rodeognome

seems too co-incidental that you did updates , then it would'nt work.

You might try doing good auld system restore.

4. einstein999999

einstein999999 Thread Starter

I disabled the 6TO4 adapter and rebooted the computer. It worked! Thanks!

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. Please mark this 'Solved" using the Thread Tools at the upper right.

Depending on the networking adapter, Windows and the BIOS, network connections may never work, may sometimes work, or may always work when you bring the PC out of Sleep or Hibernate. The "fix" is almost always to restart. Unless you are lucky enough to have the 3rd situation (always works) a workaround is to disable the connection before sleep/hibernate, and then re-enable after the PC awakens. On my one laptop I just switch the wireless off.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!