1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Notebook Adapter problems.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Brenz, Dec 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Brenz

Brenz Thread Starter

I'm having a problem with my Wireless Notebook Adapter D-Link DWL-G630 Version E and I'm running windows XP.

Seems whenever I plug it in it crashes my pc to the blue death screen with in a few minutes. Sometimes if I'm lucky 10 minutes. So I'm guessing this is a driver problem with the error message in the blue screen being DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and below the STOP: there being rt61.sys which I know is related to the adapter.

I tried updating the driver, which there isn't an update for. Seems the manufacture has the same driver which I have already. I've tried uninstalling the adapter and reinstalled it. But nothing seems to help. I'm wondering if maybe my adapter has died and I should replace it? It's been working fine for over a year now and I haven't made any changes that I'm aware of. The pc had been off for a few days and when I started it up this started happening. I don't have a 2nd notebook adapter to try, but I can get online the wired way using the eithernet which is a quick fix, but not convenient.

Any suggestions?

Thank you..

Attached Files:

2. parliamoglesca

parliamoglesca

Hi Brenz,

This is not so much of a solution but a problem shared.

I've used a D-Link DWL-G630 wireless card in a Dell Inspiron 8500 for the last 2 years and it's been OK. My router modem was a D-Link DSL-G604T bought at the same time but recently has been dropping signal and all sorts of other intermittent stuff (overheating was assumed). So I thought I would get hold of something newer, faster, etc. So my Netgear WNR834B Wireless Router arrived today with a Netgear DM111P ADSL modem and away I went. Connected up and configured through a desktop PC - no probs. Connected another PC wirelessly (via a D-Link DWL-G122 USB adaptor). Everything is looking good so I go for my hat-trick and switch on my laptop (which is fitted with a DWL-G630), logon to Windows XP and KABOOM... blue screen of death exactly as per your screenshot. So I take out the wireless card and restart, logon and everything is OK. It's supposed to be a hot swop card so I plug it in and we're back to the same blue screen again, instantaneously. Considering for a few moments the likely recent hardware changes that may have caused the problem I turn off the new router and modem. Restart the laptop with wireless card in - no probs. No internet connectivity obviously since the modem is off but none of this blue screen nonsense. So I power on the new wireless router - no probs. Next I power on the new modem and surprise, surprise...... KABOOM...that god awful blue screen again. Once I have got over the fact that, yet again, a number of nameless and faceless hardware engineers have inadvertently caused me to spend yet more of my time trying to understand/discover/fix the problem I may be able to post further info here that may be of use. Until then you have my deepest sympathy.

3. Brenz

Brenz Thread Starter

Hi Parliamoglesca

Boy do I ever know how you feel... Thank you for your sympathy.. :)

Well I never did figure out the problem with the wireless card, so I went out and purchased another D-Link and got the DWL-G650.. It worked fine with no blue screen of death.. But my speeds are total crap for some reason. I don't know if its the card or my internet (cause that is crap too), but something is affecting my speeds...

When I do a speed tests with the wireless card my speeds are at 500kb, then wired they are at normal speeds of 1.5mb. When I check the local area connection for the connection speed on my computer, both connect at 100mb.. So I don't know why it's slow?

I've sort of given up on this problem and have a wire strung across my living room at the moment cause I just can't be bothered trying to figure it out any more. I can totally understand your frustration of all the hours spent on equipment created by these nameless and faceless hardware engineers... lol...

I'm waiting for the moment till I get a new internet provider.. Should be in the next week or so. This will give me speeds of 5mb and they will provide me with a wireless ADSL modem. Which also can be hooked up by eithernet if I happen to have the same problems. I'm hoping then maybe this might solve the problem. If not, then it will be back to the drawing board...

Thanks for your reply...

4. parliamoglesca

parliamoglesca

A solution (y)

This worked for me at least.

If I changed the wireless mode on my router so that it transmitted at no more than 54 Mbps then the problem went away. As soon as the rate was changed to 130 or 270Mbps then the stop screen re-appeared. I corresponded with D-Link but they didn't want to know :(. Netgear were helpful and they suggested updating the driver for the DWL-G630 :). The driver I was using was the latest from the D-Link site but if I used the update driver button off the driver properties dialog it found a newer one from Microsoft Update. So my current driver is now version 1.1.1.0 dated 07/08/2006 and everything is back working again. That driver is valid for the E1 hardware version. I guess if someone in your vicinity picks up a new n wireless router then your wireless adapter might just give up.

I just hope there aren't too many neighbours using D-Link adapters with old drivers cause they won't be working anywhere near my house!

5. Brenz

Brenz Thread Starter

Thank you for your post....

My D-Link router only goes as high as 54mbps, so I guess go lower than that? Where do I find those settings?

I didn't have much luck contacting D-Link either, they just told me to update the driver, or reinstall windows.. I already tried updating the driver, or rolling back to an older one and none of those worked. I did use the update driver button off the driver properties dialog and it didn't find anything newer.. As for D-Links suggestion of reinstalling windows, I really hate the thought of doing that...

I'm wondering about what you meant about other people in my vicinity having a new 'n' wireless router and it affecting my D-Link? There are other people in my vicinity who have wireless routers cause I see them in the list. So does this mean that they could be affecting my router?

6. parliamoglesca

parliamoglesca

Brenz,

Your router and adapter worked before so there would be nothing to gain from changing the router settings. My situation was D-Link 54Mbps router + D-Link DWL-G630 = OK but then I changed to Netgear 270Mbps + D-Link DWL-G630 = Blue screen. The DWL-G630 couldn't handle that transmission rate until I changed the driver. My blue screen kicked in just as Windows XP logon screen came up. This new router is supposed to have a range of +200ft. You could try starting up your notebook in another area.

You could also check the driver version and date. As I said my updated driver is version 1.1.1.0 dated 07/08/2006. The D-Link site told me my previous driver was up to date.

Best of Luck

7. Brenz

Brenz Thread Starter

Hi parliamoglesca

I just figured out how to use my built in wireless notebook adapter. All this time I didn't realize that there was this little switch on the side of my laptop that you switched on. Duh!!!! Something dawned on me today to look and see a if there was a switch or something that would activate the adapter. Something just never seemed right cause never did it show any wireless network connections whereas with the D-Link there was at least 5 or 6 plus my own... Glad to have finally figured that out..

Anyway so I've updated the driver for the notebook adapter, though I've never used it before so I'm hoping for no problems. It's connected at 54mbps with a stable connection and no blue screen of death.. So I might just stick with this for the moment and forget about the D-Link adapter.. I'm still waiting on a new router from my internet provider, so if all goes well with that I will try the D-Link again and see what happens...

Thanks for the luck and your advice... :)

8. Brenz

Brenz Thread Starter

Okay never did figure out what was wrong with my wireless card, but I did figure out why my speeds were so slow... Seems I did need to change the channel on my wireless router cause as soon as I changed it to a different number, bingo my speeds were back... Yeah! I'm happy about this cause at the same time my internet provider has increased my speeds from 1.5mb to 8mb.. Though they are big fat liars and I don't really get 8mb, but I get at least 5mb now.. Good enough for me and I'm happy again.. :D

9. Brenz

Brenz Thread Starter

Okay I'm back again..

Seems the channel change did fix the problem but for only a short period of time. I'm thinking the fix was more due to the fact that the channel change refreshed the connection.....

For some reason the speeds keep dropping from 5mb down to 100kb, thought if I right click the network connection icon on my toolbar and click repair. It refreshes the IP and the connection and the speed comes back. But not for long...

Anyone know why the speeds keep dropping like that, and how I can fix it so this doesn't keep happening?

Thanks..

10. RuneM

RuneM

RT61.sys is the problem.
    Dlink should have updated thier drivers but they have not. so the solution install the latest RAlink driver. then saerch c:\windows for RT61.sys copy it. uinstall RAlink drivers, (or Google to find the updated driver - rt61.sys 7/28/07)
    install D-link driver, copy RT61.SYS to c:\windows\system32\drivers - all done! reboot

The latest ralink drivers, silently updated 2x
    June 12th 2006 - 1.1.1.0
    www.ralink.com.tw/driver...0906_0.0.3.0.exe

Good luck.

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    RuneM, your link doesn't appear to be working.

Here's another link to the English RaLink website with the list of drivers for anyone who may need them: http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Windows.html

P.S. Note that is an old thread from eh dates on the posts, so I'm not sure if nay of the original posters are still watching it.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/665794

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice