1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Wireless Notebook Card/Dell Latitude CPx

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by oldjunk, Aug 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. oldjunk

oldjunk Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mike
    I just found a Dell Latitude CPx H450GT laptop. The setup date is Oct. 19, '99. I want to keep this machine as original as possible and still have it be functional. It's using a 12073 MB hard drive with 128 MB of memory.

It's a very interesting, well made vintage machine and it's in pristine condition with original Dell shoulder bag, AC adapter and numerous system CDs. It also has the seperate, removable floppy and CD cartridges. It's built like a Sherman tank and weighs 16 lbs. Its original MSRP was about $2700.00

It's currently running Windows NT version 4.0, build 1381, Service Pack 4. The label states it was built for Windows NT or 98.

Will NT support a wireless card or do I need to install 98? What type of external wifi card is best for this vintage laptop. I'm looking at a Belkin N wireless Notebook Card, F5D8013. Will this card work the trick?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Mike:

If it's of any help to you, I found this information at its support site.

--------------------------------------------------------------

CardBus controller: Texas Instruments PCI 1225 CardBus controller

PC Card connectors: 2
    (supports type I and type II cards in any combination; type III cards can be used only in the lower connector; the lower connector supports zoomed video cards on systems using the Microsoft Windows 95 or Windows 98 operating system)

Cards supported: 3.3 volt and 5 volt

PC Card connector size: 68 pins

Data width: PCMCIA - 16 bits; CardBus - 32 bits

--------------------------------------------------------------

3. oldjunk

oldjunk Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mike
    Thanks, Frank:
    I'll see if I'm smart enough to understand it. I'll get back.

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    From what I can determine, that Belkin wireless card supports Windows 2000 and XP and Vista.

---------------------------------------------------------------

5. oldjunk

oldjunk Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mike
    Yes, that's correct. So, I'm looking for a different card then? I have a 98 install CD and wouldn't mind installing this OS because the machine specifies 98 as being one of the 2 systems it was designed for, but I'd rather keep the original NT installed (I've never used NT). There must be an appropriate card for these 2 OSs because I remember being online on my IBM desktop in '98. Now that I think about it, in '98 I was on dialup. Oops!

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Mike:

I haven't used a wireless card in a laptop since the early Windows XP days in 2001 - 2002.
    I really don't know if you can find one that will support Windows NT or Windows 98.

---------------------------------------------------------------

7. oldjunk

oldjunk Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mike
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/191891799262

Just bought this. Supports NT and 98. Thanks.

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
  9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1194239

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice