Wireless notebook card not working

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

silvershield

My Linksys wireless notebook card isnt working... I installed the software first, like it said, but I cant activate it. The device manager says its working properly. The power LED lights up, but the link light isnt. I cant add a new network, edit the current one, or do anything with the linksys software that came with it. Since it is running under Windows ME, there is no wireless configuration, like there is on XP (ignore the specs in my signature, this is a different PC).

silvershield

edit: When I open the linksys wireless network monitor, it says "no association with acess point". I had the same message with this computer, only since it is running XP, i just enabled it through the "network Connections" in the tray. I am pretty sure that is whats wrong with the other one, only I dont know how to get that on windows ME.

silvershield

Also, in the right corner it says "adapter is inactive". It wont even let me refresh to check the SSID, like the tech support suggests.

Hi,

Hate to be a ME TOO, but I have the same NIC as you do, and the same problem with the LinkSys client software. Fortunately, I am on XP and have gotten the MS client to work via the Wireless Network tab in Network Connections. I have been trying for hours to get the friggin LinkSys client to work since I have been told that speedbooster may not boost if you don't use the linksys client (unconfirmed). When I launch the LinkSys client, I cannot change the SSID, or any of the settings. I cannot hit the NEW button in order to create a new connection either. Very frustrating.

Incidently, I also did not initially have the Wireless Network tab in my Network Connections properties for my wireless adapter. That is added in XP by the Wireless Zero Configuration service, which was not running on my PC. It is now, and the MS client is working. The only thing I can think of for the LinkSys client is that there is some sort of conflict with the MS client. When I first got the PCMCIA card, I install v1.0 of the LinkSys client. That worked. I then upgraded to v2.1 off of the LinkSys site, and that has screwed up my LinkSys client royally. Now even if I uninstall the v2.1 client, and reinstall the v1.0 client, that one no longer works at all. Same problem, the SSID cannot be changed. Obviously, something is stuck somewhere. At least I can go wireless with the MS client, but if you ever find out why you have this problem, please don't be shy.

DD.

Just in case you were wondering, LinkSys support advised me to use the Wireless Zero Configuration service rather than their own client. That is working for me now, I am connecting at 54 Mbps and will deinstall the LinkSys client. Unfortunately, the deinstall routine also removes the driver, but you can easily add it back by going to Device Manager, right clicking on the Wireless PCMCIA card, and selecting Update Driver. Then point the search to the unzipped client files in the driver\NT directory.

DD.

I am having exactly the same problem. I really do not think I have much to offer to this thread other than one more "me too". sorry. the notebook I am trying to get this to work on is a compaq presario 1700 w/ pIII 64MB Windows ME etc.... The wireless adapter is a linksys wpc54gs v1.1. I have run out of ideas...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online