1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless on IBM thinkpad T40

Discussion in 'Networking' started by redcivic, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. redcivic

redcivic Thread Starter

Okay, I boot up it sees my access point no problem. I have my linksys WAP11 set up to only allow access to certain Mac Addresses. I enter the Mac address to my new thinkpad and it connects great. But every once in a while (like today) I cannot connect. My daughters PC is connected through a USB wireless card and I have never messed with it since I installed the set-up well over a year ago. Her Computer is connected fine but my thinkpad shows a great connection (99% under the IBM wireless icon and excellent strength under the windows icon) but I cannot get access to the web. What gives? Which software is controlling the wireless connection? The box under wireless connection properties in windows is not check to let windows manage the connection so I am assuming the IBM software is managing it. But why does it work some of the times and not all the time? When I plug in a lan cable it gets access just fine. I double checked every thing I could think of. The only concerning thing is that the IBM connection software shows another network availble with the same SSID. This is in the profile (whatver that means) My daughters computer does not detect any other availbel networks and neither does my dell laptop but each of those wireless connections are managed by windows. Any input would be great. Also any input on how to access networks at hotels and airports would be great too. Sometimes it works but not all the time.

2. redcivic

redcivic Thread Starter

Anyone?

3. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

let it obtain the ip address automatically in tcp/ip properties.
    why do you limit, not sure you can, mac address access?

wi-fi cards can roam but now days there's no free access, you have to be a subscriber.

i checked into wi-fi at borders and the system they used was unique to them, same way at airports, you have to be on the system. :cool:

4. jghost5

jghost5

netstumbler is a good tool to find settings in hotels and airports. Most hotels have setups where you just set to find ip automatically. I was at a hotel in October that had wireless coverage all through the hotel.

5. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

didn't they have to give you login/pw to access it?

6. redcivic

redcivic Thread Starter

TCIP is set to retrieve automatically. It is set-up for DHCP. I have the access point set-up to only allow mac addresses I specify in the properties. This way I don't have to use WEP which is PIA IMO. This way a random person in my neighborhood cannot connect to my AP.

7. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

how do you acquire the mac address you shield yourself from?

how do you limit mac addresses? within the ap?
    not sure i can do it on mine, wep offers protection and seems easier.
    different strokes.....for different folks.

is the ap separate from router? are you even using a router?
    ap mfg?

8. redcivic

redcivic Thread Starter

No, you tell your ap what mac addresses to allow connection. Take the mac address from your computer, enter it into the setup page of the AP and then your AP will only allow that mac address access to the network.

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

FYI, MAC addresses are very easy to spoof, and the protection you think you have is pretty much as flimsy as it comes. The only way to keep someone else from connecting is to stay on the wireless connection 24/hr a day.

In addition, all of your traffic is sent out unencrypted, so even without connecting to your router, someone can monitor what you're doing.

There is a good reason why WEP/WPA is so popular, it's much more effective than feel-good measures like restricting MAC addresses, or not broadcasting the SSID.

10. redcivic

redcivic Thread Starter

How can you tell the AP to accept request from a MAC address that is not listed in it's set-up? Oh, and I got my thinkpad working. I upgraded my AP to a new Wirelss G AP and the thinkpad now connects. Go Figure......

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323691

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice