1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless on Windows 2000

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dixie1006, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dixie1006

dixie1006 Thread Starter

Im struggling with a neighbours pc! They want to go wireless so I fitted a Marvell Liberatis wireless card which the pc recognises ok in device manager. In Network connections it shows the wired and wireless connections. I can connect to the internet wired but it does not pick up the wireless. No window opens to ask me for wep code, ssid, etc. I brought the pc to my house where I have sky - netgear wireless which works fine. I can still connect only wired. I have spent hours on the internet looking for an answer. I have followed instructions to go into my comp > manage > services> wireless connection > auto > start etc. this hasn't worked, although when I clicked to start it, I got an error code which I looked up and it said 'Client for Microsoft Network' was disabled. It wasn't in the properties list, there was only the TCP/IP, so I put client in there.
    There must be something Im not doing but Ive spent hours on it and don't know where to look next. The wireless connection under network connections has the red 'X' on it and it says 'network cable unplugged'??
    Any ideas?
    Gail::confused:

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I assume that a wireless utility came with the card and that it was installed. When you run it does it automatically look for available networks or do you have to prompt it to do so? Do you detect any?

3. dixie1006

dixie1006 Thread Starter

No, there was no utility with the card, just the driver. It doesn't automatically look for wireless networks and I don't know how to prompt it on w2k. In XP you can use windows to search for available networks but I can't find that option in W2K. So I have no idea how to prompt it.
    Gail

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Don't spend any more time looking for W2K's wireless utility; there is none.

If you can't find an appropriate utility on Marvell's web site I don't think you'll get very far. There may be 3rd party general purpose wireless utilities--I've never looked.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If the card didn't ship with a 2K wireless utility, it's possible it's not intended for use with Windows earlier than XP.

6. dixie1006

dixie1006 Thread Starter

The card didn't come with any utility but the driver disk that came with it said for 2000/XP. Ive found a driver on driversguide, it has the same number after it (Marvell Liberatas 8335) but Im going to download it and see if that makes any difference.
    Gail

7. JohnWill

8. dixie1006

dixie1006 Thread Starter

I have downloaded a zip file from driverguide which had a wireless utility programme with it. After quite a bit of trial and error, changing a few things, entering details etc......I have got the wireless working! My next step is to take the pc back to its owners and hopefully set it up there ok. At least now I know W2K and the Marvell wireless card are working fine.
    Thank you all very much for your help.
    Gail

9. JohnWill

Glad we could assist.

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the top of the page in the upper right corner.© :)

[​IMG]

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697408

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice