Wireless only works when the OTHER computer is connected too!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

muirnin

I have a desktop with broadband coming in, and 2 laptops. The networks is ad-hoc internet connection sharing on XP.

Laptop 1 is old and crappy.
Laptop 2 is new and snappy.
BUT Laptop 2 will only connect to the network if laptop 1 is connected!
Why is that??
They're both setup the same way...

TerryNet

Terry
I understand that your network is an ad-hoc wireless network consisting of a desktop and 2 laptops. At least one of these computers has to initiate the network. Maybe, for reasons I do not immediately understand, laptop 1 is the only one that initiates?

Is it true that with just the laptops on, or just laptop 1 and desktop on, you get connection?

What wireless adaptor do you have in each computer, and what utility are you using with each?

muirnin

I just use the XP built-in wireless connection software.

Yes, laptop 1 and the desktop work together. Laptop 1 and 2 work together. All 3 work together.
But desktop and laptop 2 - no go.

I have tried everything I can think of to get them to work. I've tried re-running the wizards, even without the laptop 1 in range/turned on. I've tried using the sofware that came with laptop 2 to run it's wireless card (intel mini pci, c/o dell) I've tried different wireless adaptor in the desktop too. Same trouble.

What am I missing? What is the magical setting that needs changing?

You stated that you are running ICS to share the internet so one of them is acting as the gateway computer that gives the others internet access. It would appear that laptop1 is set up as the gateway and has to be on to connect any of them to the internet. Is there a router or a switch in the setup at all?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
The fact that you mention an Ad-Hoc connection leads me to believe that you use ICS. If so, the computer connected to the Internet ISP obviously has to be running for the other one to connect.

TerryNet

Terry
I certainly agree with Rockn and JohnWill; but I understood from your first post that the desktop, not laptop 1, is the ICS "host." If laptop 1 is the one with broadband, they've told you why it has to be on, and you can skip the rest of this post.

On the desktop and on laptop 1 go into a command window, type
ipconfig /all

and copy and post the results here. For safety, x-out the public IP address of your broadband connection, but do not mess with the wireless data as that is what may give us a lot of information.

muirnin

The desktop is the ics host.
The problem isn't just that the internet connection isn't shared... the network itself won't establish without laptop 1 being involved. The desktop won't connect to laptop 2 at all for more than 20 seconds. AND it won't share it's internet connection.

It's almost like it's acting as a booster station or something, which is odd since laptop 1 is 10m away, and laptop 2 is 1m away from the desktop.

TerryNet

Terry
"... laptop 2 is 1m away from the desktop."

Maybe that's too close! I'm kinda reaching for that statement, but it wouldn't hurt to move it, say, 3m away for a quick test.

Where's our ipconfig /all for desktop and laptop 1?

muirnin

I gave up and installed a 802.11G network instead; new PCI card. Still ad-hoc, still ICS.
Works fine.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online