1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless PC went down on Home Network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by fourreds, Feb 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fourreds

fourreds Thread Starter

My configuration is this: downstairs my PC connected thru ethernet cable directly to a Linksys wireless router. Upstairs, my sons computer going thru a Linksys wireless bridge (WET11) to connect to the internet.

About 2-3 weeks ago (after 8 months of it working properly), without any warning and (as far as I know) no changes to the computer (ie. no new software, etc.), the internet connection was lost and no matter what we try, it won't come back up. We've even run an ethernet cable at this point, from his computer directly to the wireless router downstairs to see if he could get on the internet. Even with this connection, he cannot. The device manager says all is working fine, the internet connection wizard tries but cannot "repair" the connection. It sometimes says limited connection but packets are sent only, none recieved.

Info: both PC's are WinXP Home, SP2, have NIS and the Win firewall turned off. The downstairs computer has continued to have no problems and when connected wirelessly with my son's ethernet bridge (to see if it actually still worked properly), works just as well.

This is very frustrating as we feel we've tried everything, which I'm sure we haven't - hopefully, someone out there can give us something we haven't thought about. Help!

2. lonestarx

lonestarx

have you tried re-seating the network card into another pci slot, or swapping with the network adapter from the downstairs pc?

3. fourreds

fourreds Thread Starter

I thought about it but haven't done it yet. I will try it tonight and let you know. However, wouldn't some issue with that show on the device manager as a problem or if it is unseated, would it just not say anything? We'll see, I'll update later tonight after I have a chance to try it.

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

WINSOCK2 FIX
    =============
    If you can't access the Internet with programs like IE, Outlook Express, or other web browsers, you may have corrupted Winsock entries.

To Remove the existing winsock2 registry entries (regardless of the OS) run:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/reg/xp_del_winsock.reg

To add Win98 clean entries back in again, run:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/reg/win98_winsock.reg

To add Windows2000 clean entries back in again, run:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/reg/winsock_2k.reg

To add WindowsXP clean entries back in again, run:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/reg/xp_winsock.reg

WINDOWSXP with SP2

There is a new command you can run with SP2 which will reset the Winsock2 registry entries back to their default setting:
    netsh winsock reset catalog

TCP/IP RESET
    =============
    If you need to reset the TCP/IP protocol stack with XP you need to run a small script:

netsh int ip reset [ log_file_name ]

the log_file_name needs to be specified.
    e.g. - netsh int ip reset ip_reset.txt

5. fourreds

fourreds Thread Starter

What do you mean by "running a script"? Do you mean by getting into CMD on the DOS prompt? And is the example you gave, "netsh int ip reset ip_reset.txt" the one I need to run? I've never done that before, just don't want to do the wrong thing.

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Yes, exactly what is there.

But I would try the Winsock registry fix first. It is a solution more often than the TCP/IP reset.

And all this is assuming that you have valid IP information on the computer (IP address, subnet mask, gateway and DNS)

7. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

delete the connection.
    make another connection.

reset the modem/router.

try the nic card in another slot.

defective wi-fi card.

8. fourreds

fourreds Thread Starter

And how would it be that the IP information on the computer might become "unvalid"?

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Without being there to see what folks do with their computers, especially on the Internet, it is difficult to say why most problems happen. Mostly I try and find the solution. Once you figure that out, then you have a better idea on how to prevent it.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328831

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice