1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless PCI Card Doesn't See Network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by cgheilman, Jun 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cgheilman

cgheilman Thread Starter

Hi Guys -

I've done everything I could think of but I can't get this wireless PCI card to work. It's a Linksys WMP54G Ver. 1.0 and I have it in an older XP machine. The computer has the correct drivers for the adapter and it sees that it's there and doesn't have any problems, but it won't see my home network no matter what I do. It's next to another computer that has a Linksys USB wireless adapter that picks up the wireless signal just fine (Good signal quality according to Vista)

I tried to re-install with no luck (it said it was already installed and I couldn't reinstall) and I also tried to roll back drivers, but that didn't do anything either. I tried to use the zero configuration utility with Windows and tell it to connect to my home network, but it still wouldn't do it.

I'm running out of ideas... is there something I haven't been thinking of?

Thanks in advance!

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

Hi:
    Do you get any error msgs?
    Make and model of modem and router?

From the laptop,let's see:

From a Johnwill post on the Networking Forum

Try these simple tests.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands one at a time, followed by the Enter key:

IPCONFIG /ALL

PING <computer_IP_address>

PING <default_gateway_address>

PING <dns_servers>

PING 206.190.60.37

PING www.yahoo.com
    Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
    Paste the results in a message here.

<computer_IP_address> - The IP Address of your computer, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

<default_gateway_address> - The IP address of the Default Gateway, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

<dns_servers> - The IP address of the first (or only) address for DNS Servers, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.
    ______

Did this ever work on this laptop?
    And for sure in device manager the entry for this wireless adapter shows no error indicators and it's state is enabled and working properly?
    Here is something else you might try.

Am assuming XP here:

Stack repair for XP
    Courtesy of Johnwill of the Networking forum.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2/SP3.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands:

Note: Type only the text in bold for the following commands.(netsh commands)

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults, type: netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults, type: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reboot the machine.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure nothing, including that other computer right next to it, is in the direct path between the wireless access point and the adapter's antenna.

Make sure the antenna leads are secure.

4. cgheilman

cgheilman Thread Starter

EDIT: I finally got the wireless card to recognize the wireless network. It turns out the antenna wasn't fully screwed in (I could've sworn that I checked that three times already!)

Thanks for your help!

5. cgheilman

cgheilman Thread Starter

EDIT: Fixed. Sorry!

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :) Glad we could help.

You can mark this Solved using the button at the upper left of the thread.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/834007

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice