1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless PC's with Windows NT 4.0 Server

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Simon562, Sep 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon562

Simon562 Thread Starter

I am a finance person who is the only one left in my company with any computer knowledge. My knowledge of NT is very limited. We have several XP Pro pc's on a windows nt 4.0 network. We are getting ready to significantly downsize and move to a new office. I need to know if I can set up a wireless network and the new location.

My current set-up is a cayman DSL router going into a Cisco PIX firewall which goes into a hub or switch (I'm not sure what it is). All of the pc's, printers and the NT server connect into the hub.

I am moving the cayman and the pix firewall to the new location. The IP addresses assigned to me will remain the same.

At the new location I will have the Cayman router going to the PIX, going to the hub (just like it is now). The server and printer will be wired to the hub as well. But know I want to connect a WAP to the hub, and have four PC's connect wirelessly through USB adapters. Will this work? Do I need to make any configuration changes in the NT Server or will it see the wireless deskptops just like if they were wired? Thanks for any help.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You should be able to connect a WAP to a switch port and connect wireless clients. It's as easy as that, though I strongly recommend you buy equipment that allows WPA encryption to protect your company's network.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275565

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice