1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Print server has commandered my lpt1 port!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by calabash, Jan 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. calabash

calabash Thread Starter

I installed a linksys WPS11 ver.3 wireless print server. All went smoothly and I could print (wirelessly) to my husband's printer in the next room.
    Then, 2 days later, I went to print to my local (lpt1) printer. "Error printing to lpt1" was the only result.
    So, to rule out hardware, I pulled out my trusty laptop and hooked the printer to it. Prints fine.
    I hook it back up to my PC. Error message.
    To rule out local hardware (bad port) I restarted my computer and booted into a second copy of Win 98 that never had the wireless print server driver installed on it. Of course it printed just fine.
    Go back to the conflicted copy of Win 98 and removed Wireless Print driver (yes, it was sitting on lpt1, my bad) and Bi-admin utility. No luck.
    Went through registry and removed all references to the wireless printer port. (there were two) Re-booted. No luck.
    Okay, I give up. Uninstalling the drivers _should_ have taken care of it.
    I contacted Linksys, but of course their tech-support is incapable of actuallly reading the e-mail I sent and told me I can't use the Ethernet port on the print server and the wireless connection at the same time. duh.

2. calabash

calabash Thread Starter

Well, after deleting and reinstalling lpt1 a couple of times (with no change in behavior), I got a weird idea to change the physical address of the port in my BIOS.
    So Windows booted up and installed my "new" lpt1 port. Then I deleted the vestigal port in the Device manager. Then I re-booted, changed the port back to the original address in the BIOS (okay, I'm stubborn) and Windows installed that port.
    As you may have already guessed.. it works now.
    I have _no_ idea _why_ this worked. If anyone does, please educate me!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/111372

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice