1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless printer adapter...

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jack78, Jan 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jack78

jack78 Thread Starter

....is there such a thing?

I have BT wireless router, desktop upstairs not connect to printer and a laptop. Is there an adaptor which will plug into the USB port on the printer which will connect it to the network and allow both computers to access it as a stand alone device?
    Can I plug this into the BT Voyager router?... I think the usb port on there is just to connect to PC instead of ethernet.

I've done some searches and only found expensve buletooth adaptors.

The printer was connected to our old win98 900mhz celleron pc which is heading to the recycling skip shortly! its not really worth XP-ing and wifi-ing it up to run as a server? (please say no, i want rid of it!)

TIA

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you could setup to share off one printer.
    If you have it on the desktop connected up as normal
    right click on the printer and set up sharing
    now from the wireless devices you should be able to print to it - the desktop has to be switched on to work.

I have an old printer B&W laserjet set up like that and its works fine.... and is used the most.
    Although I do have a colour wireless printer - the other printer is faster and so for docs most use this one.

3. DBClark

DBClark

Well...you have several options, but hooking up the printer to the router isn't one of them!

1.) You could purchase a wireless/wired print server...for less that $100.

2.) Have your old 98 machine act as the print server! :eek:

3.) Install the printer on the other desktop and have it serve.

That is if all of these machines are on a LAN.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You want to search for "wireless print server." Some of these connect to the printer via USB, some via parallel. You must read carefully to determine if your printer will work with a specific print server.

You shouldn't need to upgrade the old computer to XP to use it as a "server." Best if you can connect it via ethernet (ethernet desktop cards are not expensive). You could also get a Wi-Fi card or USB Wi-Fi adapter (I think these are somewhat problematic but certainly people use them successfully.)

If you go the Win98 Wi-Fi route, I'd suggest a clean install of the OS and get all Microsoft's updates. If you are using WPA encryption on your network, I understand that you can find utilities on the web to use WPA with Win98 (or at least with Win98SE).

5. raz

raz

Yes i believe Belkin do a cheap one...see

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Product_Id=165825

you can configure it to a wireless access point wired or wirelessly and connect to upto 2 usb printers

so you could have the wireless print server close to your printer upstairs and wirelessly connect it downstairs.

I believe they are about £50 from pcworld

Cheers
    Raz

6. jack78

jack78 Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses,
    The wireless print server was the device i was looking for, just didn't know what to search for!
    The printer is a fairly new HP Deskjet (printer/ scanner all in 1 thing) so i suppose it should work with a print server. Seen one for£65 at a quick search, i'd rather pay that than bother with my old machine!

You would've thought you could plug a printer directly into a router by now, it would make a lot of sense.

cheers

7. raz

raz

A word from experience when configuring usb print server:

when initially configuring the print server ensure
    1. you reserve an ip address in dhcp or set a static ip address for the print server...i would recommend .255 ie 192.168.0.255
    2. wire the connection initially into the router and access the http config page of the usb print server then set up wireless, security, mac filtering etc

you'll save urself hours that way

thanks
    raz

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "You would've thought you could plug a printer directly into a router by now, it would make a lot of sense."

You can and I do--if you buy a "network ready" one, like my HP Photosmart 2610 all-in-one. It has ethernet built-in. You can also buy with built-in Wi-Fi.

9. jack78

jack78 Thread Starter

I've opened a can worms now, i have just tried to set up a LAN for the 2 computer, followed the XP setup up for a home office, it asked for a USB flash device to swap between my devices. Did that but there's no usb input on the BT Voyager router so the computer don't connect.

Sorry i'm new to this, any step by step guides or links u can help me with?

cheers

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    I purchased a HP all-in-1 about two years ago Ithink 2510 - printer/copier/scanner/fax and ethernet and wireless

11. jack78

jack78 Thread Starter

I'm looking at it from the otherside of the fence i suppose.
    Your side does seem better!

12. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    oh i see - yea that makes sense too.

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "... it asked for a USB flash device to swap between my devices."

What?????

I thought (assumed) you had a desktop and laptop each running Windows XP and each with internet connection via the router. And each connected to the router via ethernet or Wi-Fi. If so, the following paragraphs may help you. If not, please describe your configuration.

Run the Network Setup wizard (found in Control Panel of Win 2k Pro or XP). Tell it each of your computers connects to the internet via "residential gateway" and that you want to enable file and printer sharing. Windows XP firewall will be properly configured by the wizard. You must uninstall or properly configure any 3rd party firewalls on each machine. Unique computer names and same workgroup, of course.

The Shared Documents folder is automatically shared. Any other folders or printers you want to share, just right click on them and sharing ... .

When you first go into My Network Places there will be nothing there. The first time you click on 'View Workgroup computers' will probably result in great disappointment. It takes awhile (20 minutes; even hours) before all the computers in the workgroup get up-to-date and accurate lists of the other computers. Often you can speed up this process via Search for other computers, and a few computer restarts.

When computers show up in My Network Places, double click on one to see its shares. If that includes a printer, you can right click on the printer to connect to it.

14. jack78

jack78 Thread Starter

"I thought (assumed) you had a desktop and laptop each running Windows XP and each with internet connection via the router. And each connected to the router via ethernet or Wi-Fi. If so, the following paragraphs may help you. If not, please describe your configuration."

Yeah this is my set up.

Thanks for the advice about patients! I followed everyting on screen the way u described earlier on. The flash device was another setup option i clicked on in windows as well, so not sure what that was all about.

My dad won't be able to see any of the things i do on my PC will he?! He's not very clued up, just learnt to email but i wouldn't want him tracking my internet usage!

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437939

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice