1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wireless printer and external hard drive

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jonnythesurfer, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jonnythesurfer

jonnythesurfer Thread Starter

basicaly i have a wired printer and external hard drive conected to a desk top at the moment. i want to get rid of the desk top ,because its just taking up space, and have these pieces of hardware conected to the wireless network so that any computer on it can access it. is there some kind of box that i can connect them to and have it running on the network?

thanks guys and girls

p.s. it would be better if i didnt have to buy a new router

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you use a NAS like the D-Link DNS-323, which has provision for connecting a USB printer and of course would support the hard disk as well. This connects directly to your router using an Ethernet connection.

3. jonnythesurfer

they are rather expensive tho. if there a version that doesnt have the inbullt memory and literally all it is is a port? that is a good option tho thank you

4. JohnWill

You want a hard disk and a printer connected directly to the network. I suspect you're going to have to spend money to make that happen.

5. jonnythesurfer

i know im going to have to spend some money, i cant do it for free, but NAS's are over £100 pounds. is there not a cheaper way?

6. JohnWill

I don't know of any routers that offer multiple USB connections and file and print servers, so I can't think of a better way.

7. jonnythesurfer

ok thanks alot john its a NAS for my...

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917116

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice