1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wireless printer goes offline

Discussion in 'Networking' started by andi823, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. andi823

andi823 Thread Starter

Can someone tell me why our wireless printer shows up as offline? We have two laptops that can connect wireless to the printer. I'm not sure if this is normal, but it seems that when we turn off the printer, obviously we lose the connection to the laptop and under the control panel, the default printer, HP officejet 6300, shows as offline and we can't get it back online without deleting the printer and adding it back on EACH TIME we want to print something. This is obviously a pain, so am I missing something, or what is the best way to be sure the printer stays online each time we want to use it?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    How about starting with a description of your network. You make it sound like a simple ad-hoc wireless network with just the two PCs and a printer. But I'm wondering if you've left anything out (like a router or other wireless access point). Does the printer have a manually assigned static IP address or does it get it dynamically?

Are you saying that after the printer is returned to the network it does not automatically become 'online' on either laptop, and right clicking on the printer icon does not let you select 'use printer online'? Or do you select that and get an error message?

3. thisnamenottaken

thisnamenottaken

I'm having the same problem with my OfficeJet 6310. Currently, I'm using an HP Pavilion dv9408nr Notebook PC connected via ethernet cable to a Linksys 802.11n router (WRT160Nv2), and the printer is connected to that router wirelessly. I have a Mac Airport Express on the network as well, and occassionally connect my iPhone and another (HP) laptop to the network. I have had this same issue with other configurations, including with a prior wireless router.

My issue is the same as with the first poster, except that the "Offline" status does not necessarily correlate to turning the printer off.

Any help would be much appreciated!

4. arayq2

arayq2

How exactly is the 6310 connected wirelessly to the router? The 6310 supports Bluetooth, but I don't know of any model that has built in support for Wireless-B, -G, or -N.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755443

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice