1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Printer Issues

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Ignis22, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ignis22

Ignis22 Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a desktop pc Connected to HPLaserjet printer and the printer is accessed by laptops.

Problem :Im not able to send or print any file to the wireless network printer.In the morning it works fine but like from noon the Laptops are not able to send or view the properties of the network printer(HP LaserJet).

Error Message:

When i right click the printer it says "Printer Properties cannot be displayed, print spooler is not running".

Steps I have taken to resolve the issue.

:> restarted print spooler,
    :> Disable firewalls
    :> Cleared Spool\Printer files
    :> Disable all hibernation and set hdd values to never.

But no use.

The problem gets resolved only when the desktop pc and the printer are restarted.

then the laptops are able to print,and add printer and view its properties.

Network Setup :

DSL Modem is connected to nortel security switch 2300 and from there its shared to multiple access points 2332 in every floor.

The desktop pc which is connected with the printer(HP Laserjet 1020)is not wireless.

Note : But Internet can be accessed from this laptops without any hurdle at anytime.but when it comes to printing,Either the print job fails to print,and we cannot access the properties of the printer or add a new printer, when i do it the laptop gets unresponsive.or else it will say the printer name is wrong or network issues.

I am clueless ,Rebooting the printer pc is a temporary resolution and im still not able to determine the root cause,but i have a slight doubt that the problem might be network oriented

Please guide me with this,

Thanks in advance.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    When the laptops lose the ability to print can they still ping the desktop computer by IP address? By Computer Name? Can the desktop still print to the same printer?

Does the desktop ever sleep/standby/hibernate? Does it let its network connection be powered off?

What non-Windows firewall or security suite do, or did, you have on the desktop?

3. Ignis22

Ignis22 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply,
    Pinging with IP address succeds both on desktop with the printer,and the laptop.
    Pinging with Computer name is not successfull."Request Timed Out".
    Yes,Desktop Can Print to the same printer.
    I have disabled sleep/standby/hibernate/Never options,
    Windows Firewall is disabled,
    Trend Micro Client/Server Security agent is currently installed on the laptop.

4. Ignis22

Ignis22 Thread Starter

And Even Some Laptops cannot be pinged from the desktop system which administers the printer.

Not only Laptops,but the desktop systems which are connected with wired ethernet are not able to communicate with the printer and the same error persists.

But they ping properly with the PC which manages the printer.

I have attached a Diagram of my office network setup,

Thanks a lot .

Attached Files:

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Well, those are somewhat confusing symptoms (to me). Failure to ping is almost always a firewall issue. The powerline ethernet connections could be hiccuping, but I don't know if that could result in ping by IP address succeeding while ping by name and printing fail. And, I have no familiarity with the Nortel Security switch, so have no idea if it could be causing this problem.

So, my top suspect is a non-Windows firewall or security suite on the desktop with the printer, but wouldn't rule out the other two things I mentioned.

6. Ignis22

Ignis22 Thread Starter

So is there any other way to check,If you give me some instructions.
    It will be really helpful.
    Thanks

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You said "Trend Micro Client/Server Security agent is currently installed on the laptop." If you meant on the desktop, or if there is another non-Windows security application on the desktop, uninstall it. Run the Removal Tool if one is supplied (for brand X do a web search for X Removal Tool) and test. If it's not a free application make sure you have the Product key or whatever you need to reinstall it before you uninstall. :)

An "obvious" way to test the other things is to take them out of the equation temporarily. Depending on the distances involved and your available equipment that may not be feasible.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915054

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice