1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Wireless Printer & new routers

Discussion in 'Networking' started by katydid959, Jun 14, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. katydid959

katydid959 Thread Starter

I just replaced my old modem and router for an Arris Wireless Cable Modem Gateway. Everything works find EXCEPT for my wireless printer. It is not able to connect to the network. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong or how to get it connected?

Thank you in advance.

The positive thing her is I was able to set my Gateway up and get connected all by myself - mostly LOL

2. Sponsor

3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Chuck
    Have you gone through the networking setup on the printer? Your new wireless modem/router very likely has a different SSID and password than your old hardware.

If your printer's network settings are not set up to use DHCP to get its IP address, you will need to configure the DHCP range on you new gateway to move a few addresses out of the DHCP range and then set the printer to use one of those addresses.

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    It helps if you post the brand and model of printer.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    No, as long as you do not tell us what you are doing to try to connect it nor what is going wrong.

6. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    My guess, I've seen it many times before, is that the printer can't connect to a 5Ghz access point. If you have a dual band router then try to connect to the 2.4Ghz SSID.
    You can try to set both 5/2.4 bands to the same name. However, be advised that most home routers will have you connect to the 2.4 band first. So your other devices will connect to that before they'll connect to the 5Ghz.
    If possible, connect the printer with an Ethernet cable and then connect the clients directly to the IP/Name of the printer.

7. katydid959

katydid959 Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply. I have gone ahead and connected it with the ethernet cable. I will try to connect to the 2.4 band as you say. I have been trying with the 5Ghz. Thank you for your input.

8. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Ok. Sounds good. If, indeed, the band selection was wrong, or the printer isn't capable of running at 5Ghz, please mark this as solved.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1211578

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice