1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless printer no longer works in WinXP (but does in Linux)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by alaw005, Oct 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alaw005

alaw005 Thread Starter

My Brother MFC 640CW printer used to work when I logged into Windows XP but now it only works when I log into Linux, how can I make it work again in Windows?

I am convinced the problem is with the printer configuration in Windows but I cannot work it out. I am sure the network and printer are configured correctly because I can both print and access the internet under Linux. And under windows I can use the internet and even ping the printer’s dynamically assigned IP address (allocated: 192.168.1.102) but the printer does not work. It would not work even when I turned off my firewall (ZoneAlarm) so I don’t think that is the problem.

I am not sure if it means anything but when I go into the printer configuration under Windows the Port the printer is set to use is something link “dhcpp0”. Could the problem be caused by a mismatch between this name and the actual IP address?

Here’s some background:

I recently purchased a wireless Brother MFC 640CW printer/scanner/fax and connected it to my existing (DHCP) wireless network. The network consists of a PC laptop and wireless router. The IP address of the router is 192.168.1.254 with DHCP addresses starting at 192.168.1.100 (the laptop usually gets assigned this address).

I installed the Brother MFC on the existing network using Windows XP Home and managed to successfully use all print/scan/fax functions. I then decided to give Linux a go and installed the latest Ubuntu version on my laptop (dual booting with WinXP). I had never used Linux (or Unix) before but eventually managed to install all the necessary drivers.

Now when I boot into Windows the Brother MFC does not work (says not connected). When I boot into Linux the Brother MFC works perfectly, although I have not yet worked out how to run the fax software.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Check your HOSTS file in Windows. When I was using a dynamic IP on my network ready all-in-one its IP address kept getting put into the HOSTS file. Obviously that became a problem each time the all-in-one's address changed. I now use a static IP (outside the router's Dhcp address range) for the all-in-one.

3. alaw005

alaw005 Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion however the only entry in my hosts file is "127.0.0.1 localhost". I am now following up the possibility it has something to do with the "DNS Client" service in WinXP. Wikipedia indicates this could cause problems, refer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_file.

4. alaw005

alaw005 Thread Starter

I have solved it!!! How you might ask?

1) Disable the "DNS CLient" service Control Panels --> Administrative Tools --> Services. I selected the DNS Client entry and set startup type to Disabled and then clicked Stop service.
    2) I then followed the instructions in "How to Disable Client-Side DNS Caching in Windows XP and Windows Server 2003" (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318803). Specifically, I ran regedit and went to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DNSCache\Parameters Key and added the following DWORDs:
    MaxCacheTtl = 1
    MaxNegativeCacheTtl = 0
    PrioritizeRecordData = 0

I can now ping the dhcp name assigned

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Very interesting! Thanks. The little description for that service sounds to me like it should either be needed or have no effect. So much for my understanding of Microsoft descriptions! :(

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!