1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless printer, XP and Win7 query

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by wrinklysteve, Dec 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wrinklysteve

wrinklysteve Thread Starter

Hello again. My daughter has an XP PC and an XP laptop that talks OK to a wireless printer. She now has a Win7 laptop. Am I right in thinking that the Win7 laptop cannot be made to 'see' the wireless printer because it has been set up on XP? It would be helpful to know before I get over there to spend some time investigating.
    Thanks in advance,
    Steve

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    To me "wireless printer" implies a printer that is connected by Wi-Fi to a router. A printer connected that way can be "seen" by any computer on the LAN (connected to the same router).

Do you mean that the printer is connected by USB to a computer, and not connected by Wi-Fi to the router? Or something else?

Does the printer manufacturer supply a Windows 7 driver for the printer?

3. wrinklysteve

Thanks TerryNet. This is my first foray into wireless printers and my daughter expect me to know everything! Two XP laptops operate the printer wirelessly, which is connected to a PC by cable. The printer installation disk is 'lost'. When I get there I will download the printer's Win7 drivers to the new laptop and try again.
    S

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    OK, so the printer is connected to one computer by USB, right? Is it also connected to a router (or wireless access point) by Wi-Fi or are the printer and other two computers using an ad-hoc wireless network?

Will the Windows 7 PC be trying to connect to the networked printer or to the instance connected by USB to the first computer? If the latter is the printer shared by that computer?

5. wrinklysteve

The wireless connection was failing on the drivers inherent in Win7 so I downloaded the full set of drivers for the printer and followed the instructions to connect to the lan - success, the printer responds wirelessly to the laptop. It remains to be seen what setups I have undone that she performed in my absence!
    Thanks for your help and interest. I will mark as solved when daughter has approved the setup.
    S

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!