1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Printing

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jgtibbs, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jgtibbs

jgtibbs Thread Starter

I am definitely missing a part of the puzzle when it comes to wireless printing, i.e. trying to print from my laptop using the printer connected to my desktop. My desktop runs XP Home and it shares broadband Internet access via a Linksys router with my wireless laptop also running XP Home. My printer is connected to the desktop but not to the router. My desktop "network connections" shows two items under LAN and High-Speed Internet: A "1394 Connection" and a "Local Area Connection;" both show as "Connected." My laptop, under LAN and High-Speed Internet shows a "Wireless Network Connection" (Connected) and a "Local Area Connection" (Network Cable Unplugged).
    I have installed the printer driver on the laptop and this printer now shows as shared on both computers. I have run the Network Setup Wizard on both computers...but am stymied by the last dialog box in that process: basically it seems to be saying that the wizard must be run on each computer but since each computer runs XP I should select the last (4th) option, which says "just run the wizard; I don't need to run the wizard on other computers." Say what?
    Also, both computers are in the same Workgroup: HOME and I've rebooted both computers after trying all of the above. So at this point, when attempting to print from my laptop, the jobs just pile up in the printer queue and stop there.
    I have read through the responses to Wireless Printing (Liamis2cool, 1/9/07) but clearly I am still missing something. Can someone please tell me what I am missing/doing wrong?

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

JG:Welcome to TSG:Just to level set me a bit.
    On your desktop go to control panel/printers and right click on the printer you wish to share.go to sharing and make sure that share is checked and that there is a share name there.If not,name it something meaningful and short,no spaces.
    Co to control panel/system and note the computer name you have assigned to this pc.Note the computer description but the full computer name

Then,on the laptop
    start/run and type in \\computername(from above).A window should appear which shows the newly shared printer name. Double click it and you will be prompted to create a connection to that printer.

Hope this helps a bit.

3. jgtibbs

jgtibbs Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion but still missing something. At Start>Run>\\(computername), I get "The network path was not found."

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Try it with IP address instead.

Start - Run - \\IPaddressOfOtherComputer - OK

5. jgtibbs

jgtibbs Thread Starter

Halleluiah, that did it! Thanks to TSG: TerryNet and pedroguy.

6. pedroguy

pedroguy

JG:eek:ur pleasure:please mark this thread closed using thread tools at the top of the page

Happy Networking

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543540

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice