1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Printing

Discussion in 'Networking' started by desuhu, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. desuhu

desuhu Thread Starter

I recently had Wildblue internet service installed and bought a DLink wireless router so I can use my laptop anywhere in my home. I am having trouble setting up my systems to print from my laptop to my desktop where my printer is plugged in via USB. I have a HP Deskjet F335 printer, copier, scanner. I installed the printer software on both computers and went to printers & faxes and marked "share printer", named both the laptop and desktop computers, etc. When I hit print on my laptop, the computer icon shows up in my system tray, but nothing happens at the printer, yes I turn it on! The printer icon is showing up under "printers and faxes" on both computers. I was wondering what else can I do?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It sounds like you did the right thing on the desktop. If you look in Printer and Faxes you now see the 'sharing hand' icon under the printer, right?

Not so sure about the laptop. In Printers and Faxes does the 'pipe' icon appear under the printer icon? If not, you did not correctly connect to the desktop's printer.

In any case, are the print jobs still in the printer queue on the laptop? Any hints there about why the job didn't print successfully?

3. desuhu

desuhu Thread Starter

The hand is showing under the printer on both my laptop and my desktop and the pipe is showing under the icon on my laptop. Both printer icons also have a checkmark by them.
    Does the name make any difference? On the printer icon, it says "Suescomputer". There are no documents pending in the printer queue because I cancelled the printing job after it wouldn't print from my laptop. And there were no hints or error messages regarding the printing.

4. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

Quickest way to share printers on a network:

Find the computer with the printer in Network Neighborhood. If you can't do this step, you can't print. Once you find it, you will see the printer shared out. Right-click on the printer and select Connect.

If you have the printer installed, it will connect and be available immediately. If not, the drivers will be automatically downloaded from the computer with the printer, and installed. Then, it will be immediately available.

Note that the computer does not have to be in the same Network Neighborhood. But you must be able to see the computer (and printer) from that window.

Courtney

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Didn't quite understand. On the laptop do you have one printer icon with hand and pipe, or one icon with hand and the other with pipe?

If just one printer icon, remove the share and see if that helps.

If two printer icons are you sure that you are printing to the 'piped' one? A quick test is to right click on the printer - Properties - Print test page.

Also, on the laptop, make sure that the printer is not 'offline.' If it is you should be able to right click on it and select 'use online.'

6. desuhu

desuhu Thread Starter

ON the laptop, the icon shows a hand plus the pipe. On my desktop, it shows just the hand. I used my network wizard to set up the share printing. I named my laptop Sueslaptop and the other computer family room. On some instructions I read on another site, it said to be sure and not use the same name for both computers. It seems to be set up right, but will not print from the laptop. When I click on print, the printer icon appears in my system tray on the laptop and it did show documents pending in the queue.

7. desuhu

desuhu Thread Starter

I went to the desktop and printed a test page and it printed just fine. Then I tried the same thing on my laptop and it did not print. You said to remove the share. On which computer, the laptop or the desktop or both? Also, the printer is not offline.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The "sharing hand" icon indicates that a printer is directly connected to this computer, and is offered to other computers for their use.

The "pipe" icon means that print jobs have to be "piped out" somewhere to the actual printer.

Remove the share from the laptop, because the printer is not directly connected to it.

9. desuhu

desuhu Thread Starter

O.K., I went to my printer icon and clicked and went to sharing and marked the box to not share this printer. I had a test page document pending in the system tray on my laptop, and when I opened it, it said it was printing, but when I checked the printer, it had not printed. I'm about to my wits end with this!!!

10. desuhu

desuhu Thread Starter

I decided to delete the printer icon under "printer and faxes" and start over, but it doesn't seem to want to delete it. I also tried to delete the one document pending, and it says it's deleting, but I'm not sure it has. When I go to my "add printer wizard" and come to "browse for printer" screen, it asks for my printer name and when I typed it in just like it is on my desktop I get the following message, "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Either the printer name is typed incorrectly or the specified printer has lost it's connection to the server." Also at some point in all this one screen on my connection wizard asked if I"m using a print driver that is incompatable with Windows XP. I have Windows XP on both computers, so that shouldn't apply. What about un-installing the printer from my laptop and re-installing it, then starting all over with the add printer wizard? I'll try anything. And, should I put the same name for my printer as it is on my desktop?

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I've sometimes been stuck with a print job not wanting to delete and, hence, a printer not deleting. Everytime I've succeeded with multiple tries at deleting the printer job interspersed with Restarts and cussin'. Eventually the print queue will give up and actually delete the job. You can then delete the printer.

To then connect the printer I have the best luck with this procedure:

On the laptop:

Start - Run - \\Desktop - OK

where "Desktop" is the computer name or the IP address of the desktop. You should get a Windows Explorer page showing the desktop's shares, which includes the printer. Right click on the printer and select 'connect.'

12. desuhu

desuhu Thread Starter

O.K., hang in there with me, I finally got my printer deleted from the laptop and went to, Start, Desktop and whe the windows screen opened, it shows no printer there! Duh, I just deleted it. So, should try adding a printer again with my "add printer wizard?" I checked my programs on my desktop and the printer is there and I've been using it to print, so don't think that's the problem.

13. desuhu

desuhu Thread Starter

Well, I decided to go ahead and try to use my "add printer wizard" again, but when I type in the name of my printer just like it is on my desktop, I keep getting the error message, "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Either the name was typed incorrectly or it is not connected to the server." What do they mean, not connected to the server? Isn't the server my internet provider? I just don't get it.

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You succeeded in getting the Windows Explorer window showing the desktop's shares, put the printer was not included? Sounds like the printer is not shared.

"What do they mean, not connected to the server? Isn't the server my internet provider?"

The "server" is whatever is acting as the print server for the printer. In this case that means your desktop computer. I'm guessing that if the printer is not shared you might also get that error message.

15. desuhu

desuhu Thread Starter

Well I do know that when I open the the printers and fax link on my desktop, and go to shared printer, it shows that my printer is shared, so cannot understand why it says that. I have un-installed the printer from my laptop and am getting ready to re-install it, then I will try this again and if it still doesn't work, I guess I"m going to have to give in and go to my local computer store and see if they can figure it out. Thanks for your help though. I appreciate it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646353

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice