1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless problem...Vista

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sn00ky, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sn00ky

Sn00ky Thread Starter

Hello everyone, new to the forum.
    I am having trouble with the wireless on my laptop. I reinstalled Windows Vista, primarily due to an overwhelming amount of crap on my HD. Since, I have not been able to install the driver for my wireless adapter. Steps I have done:
    - Install Windows Vista Home Basic 32bit
    - No wireless, the light was on, but DvcMnger has ! for "Ethernet Controller" under "Other Devices"
    I tried downloading drivers, from Acer (all regions including NA and Europe), as well as many other third party sites with no luck.
    - After installing the new BIOS driver for Vista, (from Acer), my light went out never to return.
    - After many hours of reading on this forum and many others I decided to install WinXP Pro, the OS from my desktop computer.
    - I then after a lot of frustration, was able to get the wireless working with XP.
    - When I boot back into Vista, I have my wireless light back (so I know now not to update the BIOS driver anymore).
    - But, I am essentially back to square one with a light but no wireless / driver.
    - Afterwards, I booted back into WinXP to find the details of the driver that worked and the type of card.

So, that's where I am, below there is some information about the system.

A lot to read, but hopefully you guys will understand where I am in this situation:)

Acer Aspire 3690
    Windows Vista Basic / XP Pro

Wireless card (according to XP DvcMnger) - Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter / Driver version: 5-3-0-35

Not sure what other information would be relevent, but if need be, I'll find out and let you know.

Thanks again, greatly appreciate any input anyone has.

2. jazz3000

jazz3000

3. Sn00ky

Sn00ky Thread Starter

FANTASTIC

Well, I should have admitted defeat a lot earlier....great job Jazz, the driver worked perfect.

I did install the advisor program, and it worked, but I didn't really use it seeing as how the driver worked.

So, just to conclude, anyone who reads this....

DO NOT INSTALL THE VISTA BIOS that acer has on their website....it turned off my radio until I flashed again with the XP BIOS. And as for the driver, well, can someone say "BACKUP"....3 or 4 times....heheh

THanks again, great work with this forum guys....

Chow

4. jazz3000

jazz3000

Glad to hear it's up and running. The Wizard and Belarc are great for determining the personal hardware as well as other info. Good to have for future reference. Thanks for reminding us of the dangers of the Bios Upgrades without first checking out the source and the facts. Luck, Jazz

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!