1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ericip, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ericip

ericip Thread Starter

First of all, I realise that there are many other threads with a similar problem to mine, but after using the search funtion and following relevant advice, it has still not solved my problem.

I am using a wireless PCI card (Netgear WG311) in a desktop computer running windows XP but am having trouble connecting to the Internet. It occasionally connects successfully for very brief moments but does not maintain a connection. I have also eliminated possible router/location problems by using a laptop to surf the net whist sitting next to my desktop.

Basically, there is an IP address most of the time and the connection shows as connected despite not being able to access the internet.

Below is a copy and paste of the information in the Netgear connection utility, and also an IPCONFIG /ALL and an attempt to PING the router and google.

NETGEAR WG311v3

Green connection icon – "Netgear WG311v3 is connected to SKY*******".
    Settings:
    • Connected – Valid IP address.
    • 36Mbps – 4/8 signal bars
    Networks:
    • 48% signal

IPCONFIG:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\****>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : ****-01
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR WG311v3 802.11g Wireless PCI
    Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-14-6C-**-**-C0
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

PING:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\****>ping 192.168.0.1

Pinging 192.168.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

C:\Documents and Settings\****>ping google.com
    Ping request could not find host google.com. Please check the name and try again

Thank you for your patience if you are still reading as I realise this is a very long post. If you could offer any help it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "Basically, there is an IP address most of the time and the connection shows as connected despite not being able to access the internet."

You are manually assigning an IP configuration so the only way to tell whether or not you are really connected to the router is with the ping. If it were me I'd use dynamic configuration because then the IP address would be a good indication of connectivity.

I understand what you said about the laptop, but even very small differences in position can make a difference in signal strength or wireless interference. Also, wireless interference can impact different adapters differently.

I suggest you download NetStumbler www.netstumbler.com and run it on both computers. Look for other wireless networks on the same channel (or close) to yours and for evidence of noise and for differences between the computers.

Let us know what you find.

3. ericip

ericip Thread Starter

Thanks TerryNet, I've now re-automated the obtaining of IP address and DNS using the TCP/IP settings.. but doesnt seem to make much difference..

Also I forgot to mention before, that I can actually get onto the internet for very limited times but then lose connection (ie ability to load web pages) while still maintaining the IP address and Windows seems to think i am still online. However, if I disable then re-enable the wireless connection, I re-gain the ability to access the internet. The connection usually lasts about 1-2 minutes each time on average although the longest I have been able to surf the net without problems is around 10 minutes before it cut out. I'm not sure whether this suggests that the problem is with my actual computer and not the network/signal??

Also, I downloaded and have tried running the netstumbler program that you recommended, but wasnt really sure how it worked... I have tried to attach the file that i saved from the program but it is apparently an invalid file and wont let me upload to this post...

Any other suggestions are most welcome...

Thanks

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    One problem could be that you have two wireless utilities running and conflicting. Whichever you are using, make sure the other one is not running. And if still have the problem, then try the other utility.

For the Windows utility (WZC): Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services - the Wireless Zero Configuration, if you are not using it, should be stopped and its Startup Type should be 'disabled.'

If I remember correctly if the Netgear utility is running its icon will usually be in the Notification Area and a shortcut icon will be in the Startup folder. I don't know if it has an option to "go away" or "use Windows instead" but you can remove its icon from the Startup folder and reboot if you are not using it.

5. ericip

ericip Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply... Basically i have been using Netgear's utility as I have not had any success using the windows utility.

I have tried disabling the WZC service but this has not made a difference, and it also seems to re-enable itself the next time, even though i stop the service and disable it from automatic startup.

I still have no idea what the issue is, as I have been able to use the net for up to around 15 mins at best but possibly less than a minute at worst. Also, whenever the connection is lost I can almost always re-gain it by disabling then re-enabling the connection in "Network Connections", however this will only last for a random time as before, until I have to repeat the disable/enable process. I'm not sure whether this means anything as it shows that the capability to connect is there but cannot be sustained...

As a side note, my computer does not move during this process and is in one place, as is the router.

As a last desperate resort i may have to get a new laptop as all my friends' laptops seems to work in my room using the same router.

Thanks

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Something is amiss, and that's probably the reason for the problems. If you disable that service, it shouldn't start up again.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reboot the machine.

7. ericip

ericip Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply...

I have tried running the suggested commands in CMD: the first command seems to work and is accepted however the second command does not work and I get the response:

"the following command was not found: netsh winsock reset catalog."

Does this mean there is something wrong with my computer?

also i can confirm that i just disabled the WZC service, then rebooted my computer and it was back to "automatic". However, I disabled and stopped the service while my internet was "working", and it continued to work for about another minute or 2 then was lost as usual.

Thanks any more suggestions would be very welcome.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645415

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice