1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tburns88, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tburns88

tburns88 Thread Starter

Hi all,

Ive just joined this forum as after looking around doing a lot of google searches I haven't found anything similar to my problem. Im pretty sure that theres a simple solution to it, but its not obvious to me.

I have Virgin Media Broadband, and am using the modem for that with a Linksys router so i get wireless for my computer which is upstairs ( the modem and router are downstairs ). The Linksys router model number is wrt54gs i think. I use a Linksys adapter for my computer as well, with the model number wusb54gs.

The problem that i have been having is that every now and again, the internet will stop working, as in I wont be able to load web pages. To fix it i double click on the wireless icon and use the windows repair for wireless conections thing. this works each time and afterwards my internet is fine, but then soon it goes again (its just gone now as im typing this, msn messenger has lost connection, but it reconnected on its own as this is tempremental) if i dont use the windows repair thing it starts working again on its own after about 3 mins.

The router, and adpater are nearly 2 years old, so i was wondering whether something in one of them might be "on its way out".

I would like to hear any reccomendations as to how to fix it, and if not, which bit of kit needs replacing.

thanks.

ps: the computer on the wired connection on the router downstairs doesnt have this problem as far as i know ( i dont use that computer much), it can just browse normally.
    pps: i cant submit this post, gotta do windows repair again. lol.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    With a USB wireless adapter sometimes they draw too much current and are automatically shut off; after cooling a little they come back on. So, look and listen for that.

You indicated that you are using Windows XP's WZC to manage the connection. Right? Are you sure that no other utility (e.g., the Linksys monitor) is running? They can conflict and cause your symptom.

Have you checked for wireless interference (e.g., 2.4 GHz cordless phone or another wireless network on your same or close channel)? Have you tried different channels (e.g., 1, 6 and 11 in North America)?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758419

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice