1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Problems w/Dell Studio 15

Discussion in 'Networking' started by W-C, Oct 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. W-C

W-C Thread Starter

I recently purchased a Dell Studio 15 laptop with an Intel WiFi Link 5100 802.11AGN Half Mini Card. Problem is that up until this time, my other computers (combo of older Dell's and a Mac) all worked fine on the wireless internet (Belkin) until we bought this new Studio. Now, whenever I fire up the new laptop, it kills my wireless network. The wireless Belken is a Pro - N. Any thoughts on what may be happening here?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    post an ipconfig /all from a pc that works
    and then one form the new laptop

I wonder if an IP conflict, although it should sya that in th error message
    ------------------
    Ipconfig on Vista
    Vista does not handle permissions the same as XP.
    Locate the command prompt short cut in your start menu. Right click it, choose run as administrator, then try the ipconfig.

If you want to always have the command prompt run with elevation
    Right-click the command prompt icon, choose Properties
    Select the Shortcut tab
    Click on Advanced
    Check Run as administrator

How To Open Command Prompt From Right Click Menu:
    Just hold down your Shift key and right-click anywhere on your desktop, in a folder or on a folder to open Command Prompt. The current location of Command Prompt will depend from where you open it.

------------------------

ipconfig /all

TWO Methods to do that - some people have problems with ONE----

ONE ---------------------------------
    start
    run
    cmd
    ipconfig /all

rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    control key + C key - to copy
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

TWO -----------------------------------------------

Start, Run, CMD to open a DOS window and type:

IPCONFIG /ALL >C:\RESULT.TXT

Open C:\RESULT.TXT with Notepad and copy/paste the entire results here.

3. warrior19

warrior19

The fact it kills the wireless network rather than just IP suggests to me that the new card is setup as 802.11N only and an access point instead of a wireless client. In other words both the belkin router pro N and the Intel are broadcasting like an access point OR the 802.11N versions clash between Intel and Belkin!

802.11N is a standard that is not 100% compatible between all devices. The tech spec for the Intel WiFi Link 5100 802.11AGN says it is a Draft 802.11N capable device. The word DRAFT means the way that the Intel/Chip manufacturer setup 802.11N on their device may differ from Belkin's interpretation of the same wireless standard.

If you can....change the settings of the Intel to 802.11G or sometimes called B&G. It will not connect as fast as 802.11N but should work in harmony with all devices and the Belkin Pro N. Also try setting the Belkin Pro N to Mixed Mode or B&G&N as this will ensure all devices (oldest being 802.11B) work?

Hope this helps!

4. W-C

W-C Thread Starter

Is it possible that since my Belkin modem/router is considered Pre-N (not sure what that is), the newer laptop is just wiping it out? I'm reluctant to change any settings on the laptop as my daughter uses it at school also and it's working fine there.

Thanks for your help so far.

5. warrior19

warrior19

Hi W-C. If the Belkin is 'PRE N' not a PRO N model type then yes it will not fully support the newer 802.11N wireless standard.

You could go into the Belkin and make sure the wireless mode setting is setup for MIXED MODE or B&G&PreN. Setting it for just 802.11G would not hurt anything...just a tad slower...not noticeable I bet!

I think this Pre-N standard is a bit proprietary to Belkin so a Belikin to Belkin hardware connection would work. One solution buy a belkin wireless USB Pre N and use on that laptop when at home?

It should be fairly simple to change the Intel though to 802.11G in the setup software. And I bet just changing this would still work at any other location that is not using Belkin Pre N only.

In summary if the Intel is only setup for Draft N or 802.11N then it will be incompatible with Belkin's Pre N standard. It may also be possible to setup the Intel to work in mixed mode which in plain english means it would connect using the best available wireless standard wherever the location.

Did it come with a DELL Laptop. We need the manual for the Intel card?

6. warrior19

warrior19

Thinking again for a second I bet if you set the Belkin Router for 802.11G the wirless card in the Dell Laptop will just automatically adapt to the fully compatible 802.11G wireless standard. Its the mismatch between Draft Intel and Pre N Belkin that is causing the issue. This way you can leave laptop settings alone and it will work for your daughter at school and at home.

Hope this helps!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/865822

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice