Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  TerryNet 
#1 ·
Two months ago, I bought a brand-new Acer PC (Windows 10), the PC is wireless enabled and when connected to my Wireless router it worked perfectly fine. However, a few days ago I started to get a problem. The wifi connection on my PC would drop randomly and frequently. I moved the router from downstairs to upstairs but it didn’t really seem to do much. I can’t put the router in my room as it requires to be plugged into a phone line.

I'm unsure what to do and I can barely use my PC now. Programs such as Discord drop frequently and my games that I attempt to play lag a lot to the point where I can’t even play. Even Google Chrome crashes a lot, in fact it crashed while I was trying to write this.

The internet provider is sky and I did call them, however they weren’t much of a help. Is there anything I can do?

#2 ·
One of the first things I check are my wireless adapters. Go to Device Manager. To get there, click the start button and type device manager in the search box. Once open, look in the alphabetically listed group of devices for Network Adapters and click to expand it. Then, right click each device, select properties and look for a power management tab. If there is one, select it and make sure all check boxes are empty. These boxes when checked put the devices to sleep to save power, which is totally unnecessary. If you do in fact need to uncheck these boxes, you will probably have solved the problem. Caution: Windows Update sometimes reenables this feature so if it reoccurs, you know what to do. Hopefully this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
One of the first things I check are my wireless adapters. Go to Device Manager. To get there, click the start button and type device manager in the search box. Once open, look in the alphabetically listed group of devices for Network Adapters and click to expand it. Then, right click each device, select properties and look for a power management tab. If there is one, select it and make sure all check boxes are empty. These boxes when checked put the devices to sleep to save power, which is totally unnecessary. If you do in fact need to uncheck these boxes, you will probably have solved the problem. Caution: Windows Update sometimes reenables this feature so if it reoccurs, you know what to do. Hopefully this helps.

Thank you for your reply, the only two options that had the power management tab was the Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3265 and the Realtek PCle GBE Family Controller. The boxed where already unchecked in the first one, however I had to uncheck them in the second one. It doesn't seem to have helped at all. I haven't restarted my PC since doing it, if a restart doesn't help do you have any more suggestions?

#4 ·
I also like to go to the Control Panel. Open Power Management and on the left side, select: Choose what the power buttons do. Scroll down and if you see something under Shutdown settings (usually the first item) Turn on fast startup and if it's checked, then click above it where it says Change settings that are currently unavailable. In check it, save the changes and restart. This setting is supposed to start your PC faster but actually puts it into hibernation which means that shutting down your PC doesn't totally shut it down. Windows needs a restart every 2 to 3 days in my opinion or it starts acting wonky. You can check it by going to Task Manager under the Performance Tab and with the CPU selected at top left, look center bottom at Up Time for days:hours: minutes:seconds.

#8 ·
I also like to go to the Control Panel. Open Power Management and on the left side, select: Choose what the power buttons do. Scroll down and if you see something under Shutdown settings (usually the first item) Turn on fast startup and if it's checked, then click above it where it says Change settings that are currently unavailable. In check it, save the changes and restart. This setting is supposed to start your PC faster but actually puts it into hibernation which means that shutting down your PC doesn't totally shut it down. Windows needs a restart every 2 to 3 days in my opinion or it starts acting wonky. You can check it by going to Task Manager under the Performance Tab and with the CPU selected at top left, look center bottom at Up Time for days:hours: minutes:seconds.

I tried that and it didn't seem to help. I did troubleshoot the wireless connection and it said "Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (DNS server) is not responding", as well as finding out that my Pc is the Acer Aspire XC -780, if that helps at all. Another replier said that I should update my drivers so maybe that's the issue

#7 ·
I just checked and it said that after Windows updated I have 13 new Drivers to install. Some of them have the same name but are different versions, do I need to download all of them?

Intel AMT Driver Version:11.6.0.1026
Audio Driver Version: 6.0.1.7954
Bluetooth Driver Version: 19.11.1639.0649
Bluetooth Driver Version: 10.0.0.281
Card Reader Driver Version: 10.0.14393.31228
Chipset Driver Version: 10.1.1.38
LAN Driver Version: 10.10.714.2016
Intel Matrix Storage Manager Version: 15.2.0.1020
VGA Driver Version: 21.21.13.7319
VGA Driver Version: 21.20.16.4526
VGA Driver Version: 16.40.3101
Wireless LAN Driver Version: 19.20.0.6
Wireless LAN Driver Version: 12.0.0.281

I also found out that my PC is the Acer Aspire AC - 780, I did troubleshoot the wireless connection and it said "Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (DNS server) is not responding"

#11 ·
It's wise to install the latest drivers from the PC manufacturer's web site. Especially when you are having problems (such as your wireless problems). I just don't understand why Acer's program listed some older versions along with the latest. Maybe there are some comments about the versions? If not, just install the latest. Install the chipset drivers first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.