1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rockoz, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rockoz

rockoz Thread Starter

I recently got a computer for Christmas along with a Linksys PCI card to run on our router. The router we use is wireless B while the card is wireless G. Anyway, the internet was running fine until my dad decided to install SP2 on his computer (behind the times, I know). Ever since, when I try to get onto the internet with my computer, it sometimes doesn't work. A message appears saying something about DNS something or other, clear the cache and reconnect. Sometimes disabling and re-enabling the connection works but sometimes it doesn't. I'm sorry I don't have to exact message because it only appears occasionally.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Try this, when I installed SP2 on my laptop, it broke the wireless until I did this process.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands, Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

3. rockoz

rockoz Thread Starter

Do I have to do this to the comp with the router or all computers?

4. rockoz

rockoz Thread Starter

Each computer has the same default gateway, is that normal?

5. DBClark

DBClark

Just on the troubled computer.

Yes, the default gateway is the address of the router, which fowards packets to the Internet.

6. silvershield

silvershield

Yes, all PCs connected to that router will have the same gateway. What sounds like the "message" is, is the repair function. What you are probably seeing is that it stops at the Clear the DNS Cache command, and then cannot complete that. (see attached picture) In your internet browser type in 192.168.1.1 , and enter no username, but under password, enter "admin" without the quotes. Make sure that DCHP is enabled. If it is not, enable it, and be sure to save your settings. Now, go into the control panel, and click on network connections. Right click your wireless connection and click properties. scroll down and select the TCP/IP. Click the properties button, and make sure Obtain IP Address automatically is selected, and also Obtain DNS Servers automatically. If not, make the changes necissary. You may need to reboot computer after this.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

• dns.JPG
      dns.JPG
      File size:
      18.8 KB
      Views:
  7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437201

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice