1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless range problem, I think

Discussion in 'Networking' started by gryffia1649, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gryffia1649

gryffia1649 Thread Starter

CPU is HP e9107c Pavilion; ISP is Comcast cable, running a Ubee modem EGM515A model, I think.
    Netgear N150 WNR1000 v2 router (b/g), and Altheros 802.11a/b/g/n network module, with latest driver 11/23/10.
    I'm having problems connecting to wi-fi and maintaining a connection on the West end of a small ranch house, on Kindle Fire.
    In the office on East end of house, Win7 taskbar shows 2 wi-fi bars consistently with a jury-rigged parabolic aluminum foil booster on the router antenna. Status shows 54.0 Mbps.
    Question is, should the router be upgraded to N? If so, which one is compatible with Comcast? And is there anything else I can do to increase the range of the wireless signal?:confused:Thanks for any suggestions!

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8191 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4350, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 701070 MB, Free - 472397 MB; D: Total - 14331 MB, Free - 1985 MB; N: Total - 953197 MB, Free - 405515 MB;
    Motherboard: PEGATRON CORPORATION, Eureka3
    Antivirus: Norton Security Suite, Updated and Enabled

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    try running xirrus and monitor the signal and see if its above the -70dBm recommendation
    For a reliable (or robust as the Xirrus user guide says) wireless connection you need a signal of about -70 dBm or better.

do all the devices you want to use on the wireless support "N" and have an N adapter

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector
    Download and install

If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC

http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Wi-Fi-Inspector.aspx
    Direct link to the program is here http://wpc.475a.edgecastcdn.net/00475A/XirrusWiFiInspectorSetup.1.2.0.exe

{If the above link does not work heres another link http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_download/fid,77196-order,4/download.html}

Then run and install the program - on a wireless enabled PC/Laptop
    if you get an error - You need NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

Run the program

A user guide is available here http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Wi-Fi-Inspector/xirruswifiinspectorguide1-2-0.aspx

post a screen shot of the program running - if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information, and also post which network "Adapter Name" (1st column) is yours on the list

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
    Full details are here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Posting_a_Screenshot

Note:
    For a reliable (or robust as the Xirrus user guide says) wireless connection you need a signal of about -70 dBm or better.

If you are using the Mac OS then use http://www.istumbler.net/

3. gryffia1649

No adapters beyond what's described. N150 is not 'n'. Here's the Xirrus, shows a -82. Not sure how to read this without going thru the user manual, but wanted to get results to you a.s.a.p.

Attached Files:

4. gryffia1649

Network is supposed to be wireless, but the Comcast repairman wired it together because it went from a speed of 15 to 34mbps wired. Router and modem are on East side of building in my office. House is an old brick ranch with a family room/breezeway on the West, on the other side of a brick wall. That's the room where the wireless signal is iffy. I need to somehow boost the signal to reach that room without moving the router to the middle of the house.

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    thats not a strong enough signal for a reliable connection - "N" router mayhelp - just depends on the make up of the walls/floors/ceilings it may have to go through

when i changed from a G to a N router that was only a minor improvement

this is from an old post of one of the experts here

Extending Range adapters

Extending Range adapters

from Johnwill Post
    One adapter that I've had good luck with is a Rosewill RNX-G1 USB
    Wireless Adapter
    . It's feature is that is has a removable antenna and will accommodate replacement antennas. Paired with this Hawking [HAI7SIP] Hi-Gain 7dBi Omni-Directional Antenna, it'll give you significantly more range than the internal wireless adapter. You can also use directional antennas for even more range like this Hawking [HAI15SC] Hi-Gain 15dBi Corner Antenna. That's the one I use with this adapter, it really reaches out. :)

6. gryffia1649

Thanks for the suggestions/recommendations. The house is a 50's ranch; floors are hardwood. Between the office and the family room/breezeway is the bathroom with all piping, the kitchen with microwave, refrigerator, cordless telephone, and a brick wall which was the original West wall of the house. Maybe 50 feet all told. The other consideration is compatibility with Comcast;I'm assuming the adapter would not have issues with cable, or is that a dumb question?

7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    The adapter works with the router - so thats the match that needs to be considered - does not matter if the broadband is supplied by cable or telephone or satellite - its the router that makes the difference

8. gryffia1649

OK. I'll order the wireless adapter and the Hawking 15dBi corner antenna. Thank you so much for your help with this. I always seem to come up with these equipment-specific questions and it is great to know I have found this group! I'll let you know the outcome.

9. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    if you have a "N" router it may be worth looking at an updated version of the adapter , as that recommendation is from johnwill and a little old now - although we at least know it worked well , assuming the components are still available for sale

I'll see if one of the other gurus on the forum has an alternative with a "N" adapter

I'll also see what roswell /hawkin recommend if they answer my enquiry

10. gryffia1649

Oh - nertz. My router is a Netgear N150 WNR1000v2, b/g. And I already ordered the Rosewill RNX-G1 adapter. Actually, that was my original question - should I upgrade the router to 'n.' At this point, I'll just see how the antenna and adapter work - and if the range improvement is significant, good enough.

11. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    See how that gets on, we at least knows that works well and the speed of G is 54Mbps , which should be fine for internet use -

where did you purchase from ?
    amazon, newegg ?

12. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i have just received a reply from rosewell - with an updated product - NOT on the website I linked to for some reason

here it is
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166068

with a detachable aerial so should work with the hawkin device

Also this device which is able to be positioned, but does not have a detachable aerail - so not as good as the above device with the hawkin adapter

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166056

I'll update the recommendation

Hope that has not caused you too much inconvenience

13. gryffia1649

NewEgg, and I got the Hawking hi-gain 15dBi corner antenna last night. For some reason they shipped separate from the Rosewill. I'll check with NewEgg re: return/exchange for updated adapter; both would still work with either an 'n' router with detachable antenna, or the NetGear b/g I have already and which antenna isn't detachable, right?

14. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Sorry a little confused now

You say you do not have an "N" router
    BUT reading here
    ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/wnr1000_ds_29jan09.pdf
    that says the WNR1000 is an N router , although not showing as N on the xirrus -

you say in post #3
    also the adapter in post #1
    supports "N"

it would be worth logging into the router and see if the router wireless section is set to mixed G/N or is set to just G

15. gryffia1649

No, it is definitely a b/g but has some kind of boost that 'supports' N. Evidently it came out just as N was on the horizon, so Netgear wanted to cover all bases. I did log in, and it is set to b/g. Also, the only button on the router is the reset/on/off. The anomaly shows on the link specs you sent me-mine is the middle one, I think. I'll log in again and run the wizard, but I would think if it was an 'N' range router, they'd advertise it as such. I'll probably wind up getting another router; any suggestions? I guess Netgear is considered the lower end of the router genre?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029137

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice