1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wireless router, access point problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by gameman, Sep 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

Hi all,
    Here is the situtation. I have a Linksys wireless router and a Linksys wireless access point. Can I put the router in one building and the access point in another, and have the access point connect to the network and share broadband all wirelessly? Or do I need more than the two devices to do this? If I can do it with just the router and access point (and without cables) I need to know how. I have tried every configuration of the two devices that I could find to no avail. Thanks in advance.

-Gameman

2. clarke123

clarke123

Is it cable or DSL...if DSL it could be a case of an incorrect PPPoE setting

3. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

It is DSL. But I can connect with the internet just fine if I am directly connected to the router. If I connect to the access point, I get nothing. So I don't think it is the PPOE settings as I have been using them for over a year.

-Gameman

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

How about specific models for the router and access point? I don't think there's anything wrong with your router's configuration, as you say, it's working.

5. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

Both Linksys. Router is BEFW11s4 V2 access point is WAP54G

-Gameman

6. JohnWill

As long as you have decent signal strength, those two devices are compatible, and should allow a wireless extension of your network. If you have signal strength issues, try some directional hi-gain antennas, Linksys also sells those. :)

7. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

Well the problem is I can't even get them to talk to each other just a few feet away (two feet to be exact), let alone in the other building. I have one computer pluged into the access point and I can't get on the net or see the network from that system. It should be in access point mode correct? Not bridge, or repeater mode? They both have the same encryption settings and passes (WEP). And I have it on the default static IP which is fine as I don't use that IP for anything else on the network. Yet nothing. Any suggestions?

-Gameman

8. JohnWill

Actually, I believe you want the Wireless Bridge configuration for what you're doing. You have the router and the WAP both wanting to be the master right now. Page 38 of the WAP54G manual describes the Wireless Bridge configuration.

9. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

I didn't think that was possible to have bridge mode between a router and a access point directly. At least from what I read here, or am I reading it wrong?

-Gameman

10. JohnWill

Did you look at the manual page I referred you to? If it was configured as a plain access point, your statement would be correct, but it's configured as a wireless bridge to accomplish what you're trying to do.

11. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

Yes I did look it up. However it says "In Wireless Bridge mode, the Access
    Point can ONLY be accessed by another access point
    in Wireless Bridge mode." Now how do I put the router in bridge mode? It sounds to me like I would need a second Access Point pluged into the router also in bridge mode. Or am I missing something?

-Gameman

12. JohnWill

The router appears as an access point! If you won't at least try my suggestions, I'll let someone else take the lead here. :rolleyes: :(

13. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

John take it easy. I am greatfull for your suggestions. I read that in bridge mode it mentions routers not working, but access points will (aka will ONLY talk to access point but not routers). I realize that this router IS a access point, but it mentioned them both in the same sentence. So I figgured it would not work and just wanted to clarify. I shall try it tomarrow. Again I am greatfull for all your help.

-Gameman

14. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

Well I tried it and nothing. And btw what I was mentioning before is in the setup for the acess point it says at the bottom "if in repeater or wireless bridge mode, this device will only communicate with another linksys access point (WAP54G)". That is what I was basing my previous statment on. Any more suggestions?

-Gameman

15. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

Well I finally got through to someone at Linksys and apparently this router (BEFW11S4 v2) is not compatible with this access point (WAP54G) wirelessly anyway (which is what I feared and unfortunately...was right). The newest model router is, but not this older model. I would have expected this if the equipment was from different compaines, but all the same brand and only one year difference? Sheesh! So it looks like I will be returning equipment and trying another method.

So just becuase logic says it should work, does not necssarly mean it will. :/

-Gameman

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275223

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice