1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Router and Bridge problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by hkmixxa, Nov 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hkmixxa

hkmixxa Thread Starter

I have been using a wireless router to acces the internet and serve as an access point for other computers around the house. I have two computers connected to the Netgear MR18v2 router, one computer upstairs hooked up to a Netgear Wireless Bridge WGE101 and a laptop with a wireless card.

I recently tried to set a static ip address for the computer connected to the bridge and I also enabled port forwarding on the router downstairs. After doing this, I am only able to access the internet with the one computer connected to the bridge. All the others are having trouble. When I checked the IP address for the computer connected to the router it was nothing but zeros. I am unable to access the internet or restore the port forwarding option for the router.

I am confused and do not have any clue of how to fix this problem. Does anyone know what could be causing this problem or encountered this before? I appreciate any help that is available

2. coulterp

coulterp

When you say "static IP" what do you mean? Which IP address did you try to make static - the external/public/WAN IP address your ISP issues you or one of the local/LAN IP addresses used by your PCs?

If you used what is generally referred to in the user manual as Static IP that is used for the external/WAN IP address from the ISP. I think it sounds like you did this which could explain why all the PCs cannot now access the internet. You need to reverse this change. I assume, therefore, you have a dynamic public IP address issued from your ISP (correct me if I am wrong).

To do what I think you want to do you should use the Address Reservation feature as described on page 8-8 and 8-10 of the MR814v1 user manual (MR814_v1_ref_manual.zip from the Netgear site - or the V2 if you use that) which is used to ensure a LAN IP address is always reserved for a specific PC on your local network. If you used the Static Routes feature (as described in 8-10 of the same manual) the purpose of that is not quite the same as I think you want (as I assume you do not want the PCs hanging off the bridge to be on a different subnet - correct me if my assumption is wrong).

3. hkmixxa

hkmixxa Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I tried making one of the local/LAN IP addresses static. And now, I am only able to access the internet through the computer that uses a static IP address. This does indicate that the bridge is still communicating with the router correct? I had thought that each PC should be using the same subnet during this whole process. I will see though if using the address reservation does the trick.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/293386

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice