1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless router and direcway 2way dw6000

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mayadog, Apr 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mayadog

mayadog Thread Starter

I have Direcway 2 way satalite internet (live in the mountains with no DSL). The direcway "modem" now connects via a lan rather than the old USP connection to a computer. I have a wireless router acting only as a hub. Two questions. 1. any advantage to use the wireless router and if so anyone know if this leads to problems with direcway (please don't ask if I've asked direcway...vary difficult to ask them "advanced" support questions).
    and 2. If so, I've got a problem. Both the wireless router and the direcway "modem" use the same ip address 192.168.0.1 and I can't seem to get to the wireless router to reconfig the ip address - even with the hard re-set.

2. Cwolly

Cwolly

Hey there,

"any advantage to use the wireless router and if so anyone know if this leads to problems with direcway"

There is no advantage unless you need wireless conections in the house, like someone using a laptop.
    There should be no problem using wi fi technology with a satalite internet connection.

" If so, I've got a problem. Both the wireless router and the direcway "modem" use the same ip address 192.168.0.1 and I can't seem to get to the wireless router to reconfig the ip address - even with the hard re-set."

Something is not adding up right if your "modem" is giving you a private IP address. You should have no problem pluggin your direcway modem into your wireless gateway. It should be configured correctly by default. If it is not working automatically, post again with what type of wireless gateway you are using and I will try to help you further. Also, go to a command prompt and type /ipconfig and let me know what you get.
    Good luck,
    Cwolly

3. mayadog

mayadog Thread Starter

I've tried to reply several times...but due to the universe is conspiring to not let me post a long winded version, so the short version is... Sorry to waste your time but I've answered my own question. The DW6000 (direcway "modem") is a DCHP server.
    I've got another question but it's going on a new thread.

4. paschence

paschence

Hi mayadog.

Have you figured a way to set up a wireless network using Direcway? The direcway modem uses the same IP address 192.168.0.1 as my Netgear router. Is there a way to configure anything to make it work?

5. geezitron

geezitron

I am having the exact same problem. Has anyone found a good solution???

6. AKA Arizona

AKA Arizona

Change the ip address to the wireless unit my DW4020 is 192.168.0.1 I made my Dlink 614, 192.168.0.2 and disabled the dhcp in my dw4020 and use the dhcp in the dlink.

7. coulterp

coulterp

No problem - change the Netgear to use another subnet. Any valid private IP address range other than 192.168.0.0/255.25.255.0 will do, e.g. 192.168.1.1 or 10.0.0.1. Then change the DHCP issuing range on the Netgear to a suitable range on the new sub-net. Thus, say the router has been given an IP address of 10.0.0.1, then the issuing range can be 10.0.0.2 - 10.0.0.254. Both of these changes can be done from the LAN IP Setup page on the management GUI.

Connect the router to the PC but ensure the modem is not connected to the router.
    Make the changes on the Netgear LAN IP set up page.
    Commit/save the changes and power off the router.
    Connect the modem to the router.
    Restart the modem, restart the router.
    Now you should be able to access the modem on 192.168.0.1 and router on 10.0.0.1.
    Use DHCP on the Netgear wireless router and hang the LAN off it.

8. geezitron

geezitron

The DSW6000 is an entirely different beast than the 4000. I tried all of the configuration changes without luck then found that the router itself was having issues. Even though it was new out of the box it would not power up occasionally after repeated power cycles. Between Direcway satellite connection problems and the router failing the project was doomed. In any event, I returned the Netgear router in exchange for a Linksys WAP...no problem at all with hookup there. That's the esiest way to go by far.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218742

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice