1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless router as a wireless access point?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by erok72, Jan 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. erok72

erok72 Thread Starter

Hello all!!

I'm brand-spankin' new to this form, so please forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place.

I have a question for you all and would appreciate any help you might be able to provide.
    I've recently upgraded my wireless router from the NetGear MR814v2 to the WGT624v2. Unfortunately, I'm using this in both b and g modes, as one of the computers accessing the internet can only function in 802.11b ( :( ), but I digress.

Does any one know if I can configure the MR814 to act as a wireless access point that I can use with my Playstation 2? I haven't been able to find an inexpensive access point that people are happy with, and I'd hate to spend the $$ if I already have the equipment I need :eek: .

Thanks!!! :)

2. terja

terja

I was unaware Sony had a wireless connectoid for the PS2.. where'd you get it ? lol i have a 43 FT CAT5 running accross the house for my ps2 :p

But yes you can configure it to be a wireless access point, the option should be under "Advanced Wireless Settings"

er wait, do you mean set it up so that you can run your ps2 enet cable to that wireless router (1), then connect router1 to router2 wireless ? uhm... i dont think netgear routers have that ability, would probably have to get an access point. But try calling netgear, they have free tech support :p might have more insight into it than me :)

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

4. terja

terja

one word....
    wow.. lol *takes notes for future use*

5. erok72

erok72 Thread Starter

Thank you johnwill, but you lost me on this part:

"Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!"

A cross-over cable? :confused: A cross-over who? :(

The WAN port? Would that be the main port that connects the modem to the router? :confused:

Sorry if these are dumb questions, I just want to make sure that I understand everything before I dive into it.

6. JohnWill

A crossover cable is a special CAT-5 cable that reverses the transmit and receive pairs for cases where you are connecting like devices together, like two computer NIC cards, or two router LAN ports. Many newer Ethernet devices (but not all of them) are auto-sensing, and will automatically reverse the connections internally, that's what I was talking about. The documentation for the equipment in question should tell you if the auto-sensing capability is present, you only need it on one of the devices.

Yes, the WAN port is where you'd normally connect the broadband modem, but since it's already connected to the other router... :)

7. erok72

erok72 Thread Starter

Johnwill,
    I think I have everything straight and I'll give this a shot over the weekend. One last question..... Since my PS2 is about 100' away from my router, is it ok to configure the secondary box, unplug it and re-connect it at my PS2? I'm guessing the configurations will stay the same?
    Thanks again for all your help!!!

8. Jeckler

Jeckler

Uhhh, something's wrong. Johnwill, sounds to me like he wants wireless routers on either end of the house, connected wirelessly. Router1 is connected to the broadband connection, and broadcasts wirelessly to router2, which is connected to the PS2.
    I was thinking of trying this myself, as I replaced a D-link 'B' with a Netgear 'G' to take advantage of my laptop's 'G' card. I was going to put the 'B' router in my daughter's room and hook it up to her PC. I can't remember why, but at least in my case it doesn't work that way.

9. JohnWill

You're right, he's sneaking in a wireless element here.

Routers typically connect only in gateway mode, and they won't talk to each other wirelessly. My scheme (which I use here) is to connect two routers to expand the range of wireless coverage, but you need a wire between the routers.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/315510

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice