Wireless Router cannot connect to internet

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BENNOMAN

I recently purchased a Belkin F5D7230-4 Wireless G Router and connected it to a Dell Dimension 4600 PC. All wires are connected properly, with an ethernet cord going from my Surfboard Cable Modem to the wireless router and from the router to the PC. All lights on the router appear to be on, EXCEPT for the "connection" light which blinks continuously. I can connect to the internet fine with the modem goes straight to the computer but not when the router is in between. Belkin, Charter, and Microsoft are all baffled regarding this issue, and each thinks that the other is at fault.

My system is running Norton Firewall software, but I don't think that this is the problem because I installed it after I was having the problem. When I look at the router's "security log" on the settings page, it shows a the router (255.255.255.0) being denied to connection to "10.232.64.1" over and over again every few seconds. So I wonder if it just cannot connect to my ISP?

I will be very plea$ed if someone could help me with this as I would like to have wireless internet in my house. Thank you so much.

Best,
Ben

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
First off, you need to power cycle the equipment, INCLUDING THE MODEM, when you change the attached device.

BENNOMAN

If by "power cycle" you mean turn everything off and then turn on the modem, then the router, and then the computer, then I have tried this already. What is the next step?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
If you've performed a factory reset to defaults on the router, and it still won't connect, it may be defective.

TerryNet

Terry
As part of your connection process, did you run the setup program on the CD that came with the router? If not, and you did not follow the manual setup procedure, that omission is probably your problem.

I have the same router, and the "Connected" LED will be a steady green when it achieves internet connection; blinking means that it is trying.

I did run the wizard on the cd but the router seems to have a problem
I returned it and my new one works great :D (y)
thanks guys

I've been having the same issue with a Belkin F5D7231-4 and my Actiontec DSL Modem from Qwest... but I'm already on my second one and it just does not want to see the internet connection.

What are the odds that I got two faulty ones in a row?

Any other suggestions? I went through the CD setup, no internet. Reset it. Went through manual, including resetting IP Address from 192.168.2.1 to 1.1 to match the modem's 1.0.

It's so strange because my Linksys network I'm replacing went together so easy. I just want the added range.

Help me, please. I got such a great deal on the Belkin I don't want to give it up!

TerryNet

Terry
Please start your own new thread. Include an IPCONFIG /ALL from your computer while it's connected directly to the modem, and the Internet Settings from your router. In both you should x-out the first two numbers of public IP addresses.

Sorry, TerryNet. I did start my own last night, right after I posted here. I will go ahead with your suggestions. Thanks

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Since the original problem was solved, I'll close this thread to avoid confusion. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online