1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless router connected, but no internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by SgtSpout, Nov 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SgtSpout

SgtSpout Thread Starter

I have a linksys wireless-g broadband router, and my one computer has internet connection, whilst my other computer shows that it has a connectiong to the router but I cannot use the internet. It also shows me an IP and all the other information on winipcfg. Someone PLZZZZ help me.

2. tekgurl

tekgurl

can you ping the router and other public ip addresses and websites?

3. SgtSpout

SgtSpout Thread Starter

no i cannot ping to anything

4. tekgurl

tekgurl

so..you are not getting a valid ip address from your router? what's the ip address of the wireless pc?

check the settings of the router...should be the same as the settings of the wireless pc.

5. logistix_111

logistix_111

Go to the bad computer. Open up a DOS prompt. Type: WINIPCONFIG/RELEASE Then type: WINIPCONFIG/FLUSHDNS Then type: WINIPCONFIG/RENEW It should give you a nice new IP from the router. Try it and come back and let us know.

6. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

How about we use ipconfig.

I would like to see your IP settings on the computer that is not working.

At a dos prompt type

ipconfig /all

Post that information back here.

7. leila_japy

leila_japy

Are u using a LInksys wireless adapter? what's the OS of ur pc?

8. reneirwolf878

reneirwolf878

If he's using winipcfg it's probally a 98

9. Squashman

ipconfig works on Windows 98 from a dos prompt.

10. coulterp

coulterp

Correct.
    But so also is the statement by reneirwolf878!

As WinXP online help states:

"The ipconfig command is the command-line equivalent to the winipcfg command, which is available in Windows Millennium Edition, Windows 98, and Windows 95. Windows XP does not include a graphical equivalent to the winipcfg command, however, you can get the equivalent functionality for viewing and renewing an IP address by opening Network Connections, right-clicking a network connection, clicking Status, and then clicking the Support tab"

In anyway case in terms of curing the problem that started the thread the output from ipconfig/all or winipcfg would be useful.

11. Squashman

Lets take a couple steps back and clarify why I told the user to use IPCONFIG.

Logistix told the user to use winipconfig from a DOS PROMPT That would be incorrect. The correct useage is ipconfig from a dos prompt.

At no time did I say you could not run winipcfg from a run box.

They way I read reneirwolf878's post, it makes me think that he doesn't believe that ipconfig will work in windows 98. So I just stated that it can run from a dos prompt.

12. coulterp

coulterp

It's a pleasure to have it confirmed I was correct on both counts.

13. reneirwolf878

reneirwolf878

I answered that, and that only. I'm so confused right now about what we're arguing about.

14. Squashman

The WNTIPCFG utility which originally came out with the Windows 2000 reskit, works perfectly fine on Windows XP.

You can download it here.
    http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWS2000/techinfo/reskit/tools/existing/wntipcfg-o.asp

I use this for my family and put a shortcut on there desktop so that they dont have to drop down to a command prompt to find their IP address.

15. coulterp

coulterp

Phew. Glad we got that sorted.
    However returning to the actual issue at hand ....

SgtSpout's original problem seems no nearer solution. In fact without more info from him/her (using whatever IP config utility is available on whatever OS he/she is running) I don't see this progressing anywhere.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/178535

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice