1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Router- "connected to access point, but internet cannot be found"

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Taylor500, Jan 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Taylor500

Taylor500 Thread Starter

Ever since i've gotten my lynksis wireless router, it had always worked, but the connection was never very stable. It would drop the connection every now and then, and then i'd have to reset the modem... which was no biggy. But a week ago my internet dropped, and ever since then it's given me the message "You are connected to the access point, but the internet could not be found" The other night, i actually got it to connect, i'm not sure how.. but i was connected for a good 45 mins, and then it dropped and went back to the same old message.. Has anybody else had a problem like this and know how to fix it? Well if somebody could help me out that would be great :) Thanks

2. Taylor500

Taylor500 Thread Starter

anybody?

3. frankjohn

frankjohn

I would call your ISP and dicuss this PBLM. with them

4. dannyn

dannyn

try putting this in the network section

5. Hughv

Hughv

Linksys has a specific article covering this error.
    Go to the site and enter this error under your model number.

6. Taylor500

Taylor500 Thread Starter

ok thanks, i'll check into that

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    For your future reference, when dannyn said, "try putting this in the network section" he meant to click on the red triangle at the upper right and ask a moderator to move this thread. They appreciated that much more than having to go around and find and lock duplicates. :)

I'm gonna assume that other computer(s) using the same router maintain their connection OK. If that is incorrect, please advise.

How strong is the signal that you recieve (good? weak? 3 bars out of 5? etc.)?

Have you tried rotating or moving the computer to try to improve the signal? Remember that any obstacle in the path between the router's antenna and your wireless adapter's antenna will impede the signal. Obstructions include the (desktop) computer itself, floors, walls, refrigerators, etc.

Is the router's antenna positioned properly? If it is stick type it should be at right angle to the path to your computer because the weakest signal is along the axis.

We might be able to suggest more specific help if you told us about your router's and adapter's brand and model, and your operating system and its service pack level.

8. Taylor500

Taylor500 Thread Starter

ok thanks, sorry i'm kind of new to this forum. Anyways yah i have 4/5 bars and the signal strength is Very Good. This trouble starting happening like a week ago, and since then i have moved my computer to a diff spot in the room, still no luck. Although the other day i did get it to work for a good 45 mins. What do you mean by positioning the router? You mean like pointing antena towards my adapter?

9. dannyn

dannyn

yes... sorry that is what i ment.

10. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Moved as requested ;)

11. Taylor500

Taylor500 Thread Starter

12. DarkMan_X

DarkMan_X

What are the model numbers of the router and the wireless device on your computer?

I had a problem like this with my WRK54G router. It would drop connections several times per day. I eventually had to install a secret beta version of the firmware which you can only get if you call linksys and argue with them until they give you the firmware.

13. Taylor500

Taylor500 Thread Starter

ok my router model number is WRK54G (what you have), and my adapter is WUSB54G

14. DarkMan_X

DarkMan_X

Yeah. I have the same adapter too. I would recommend talking to Linksys and asking about the beta firmware. I've been trying to find a copy elsewhere on the internet, but no luck.

In my experience, the adapter sucks as well. Whenever I connect it to my computer, half the time it makes it freeze up after 30 minutes.

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Your router is probably (but not necessarily) fine. Your adapter may be failing. It probably has a LED that is always on or blinking when it has power. Does it lose power?

Since this started suddenly it may be because of wireless interference from a new wireless network or 2.4Ghz cordless phone. Do you detect other wireless networks? A good thing to try is to change the channel used by the router. Channels 1, 6 and 11 are the non interfering channels in North America.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/675194

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice