1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless router downgrading my connection speed, any solutions?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rikkublue, Apr 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rikkublue

rikkublue Thread Starter

I just installed my mom's wireless router for her. Long story short, it took six hours. Who knew that the only WEP key that would work correctly is the first of the four? Why even give me for if three of them don't work.

Anyway, I'm terribly concerned about this new fangled wireless internet. I have two Bellsouth Fastaccess DSL connections in my house. The one I'm posting from now is mine and a trip to dslreports.com tells me that I'm sitting pretty at a 2980kbps download speed. My upload speed is a meager 319kbps, but that's not what the problem here is.

My mom's DSL, post-wireless connection, is chugging along at about 150kbps down. That's awful. Her upload speed is fine, it's in the 290's. I checked her speed before I switched her over to wireless and it was going just fine at about 2900Kbps. I was using her connection for a long time because mine was accidentally cancelled by the geniuses at Bellsouth. And I never experienced terrible connection speeds.

Wireless isn't suppose to do this to a connection, right? Are there any settings I'm missing the resolve this issue? The icon in her system tray says that it's connected at like 54Mbps.

We've got two laptops and a printer on the wireless network. One laptop is running Windows 2000 and the other is running Windows Vista. The router is a "Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router" with.. get this.. "Speed Booster". It's 2.4Ghz, whatever that means, and the model number is WRT54GS.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and Happy Easter. :)

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If your devices aren't getting pretty old they should support the more secure WPA-PSK encryption. In my opinion it's also easier to use. All 4 WEP keys work, but "mix and match" doesn't work. Whatever you specify for key n in the router has to be specified for key n in any wireless adapters. I've used the first key and all four keys, but assume that you can use any one or combination you want.

Turbos and speedboosters and draft n are a little worrisome because they can do more harm than good if all devices don't match. Since you are having bandwidth problems I suggest setting everything to just use the standard 802.11g 54Mbps until you get things sorted out.

What download results are you getting on the other wireless laptop?

Make sure you have the latest wireless adapter drivers (from the laptop's manufacturer if integrated), that there are no other wireless networks in range on the same or close channel, and have the laptop in the same room as the router for testing.

Probably be worth checking to see if Linksys has a firmware upgrade for the router.

3. rikkublue

rikkublue Thread Starter

Would my choice of WEP have any effects on my download speed? I heard that it can, but it seems like going from nearly 3,000Kbps to a mere 300Kbps is just too much of a gap for it to be WEP's fault entirely.

I'm going to test my download speed later with the wireless active but without any security, and then WPA-PSK.

The funny thing is that I didn't come across anything in the router settings that specifically mention this "Speed Boost" thing. I haven't switched anything on except for the basics. I'll poke around and see if I can indeed disable that "Speed Boost" or if it's just some passive feature.

The same speeds. The upload speed on both laptops is exactly what it always is. It's just the download speed that croaks, and it's the same on both of them.

The laptop was no more than two feet away from the router during these tests. As far as other wireless items, there is the wireless printer that I have setup. But I don't have any other wireless networks setup in my house.

I'll check out the Linksys site and see if there are updated drivers before or after I test the connection with different security options.

Thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/559658

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice