1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Router for Cell Phone Service

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dixiedarling50, Mar 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dixiedarling50

dixiedarling50 Thread Starter

I just recently went with a cell company that has no signal in my home area. I have a linksys router model #WRT54G-TM. My computer is an older Packard Bell with Windows 98 and my internet service is through AT&T in which I use a Netopia modem. When I first started using the fast access DSL I was unable to use an ethernet connection to the modem due to my computer being old so AT&T configured my modem to use a USB cable. Unfortunately when I hook up my wireless router to the modem and then to my computer I am unable to get into the internet so that my cell phone will get a signal. I purchased a NIC card and installed it to have an ethernet port on my computer. I have spoken with AT&T 3 times to get them to reconfigure my modem to be able to use an ethernet cable from my modem to my wireless router and they can't seem to be able to help me. If someone could help me with the hookup and installation of my router so as to get a cell signal using my internet I would surely be appreciative of the help. I am not sure that I am even in the right area to post this thread and excuse me if I picked the wrong forum but please help an older lady be able to use her cell phone at home and still be able to surf the internet.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Unplug the modem.
    Disconnect the USB.
    Connect the ethernet to the router's WAN (Internet, modem) port.
    Connect computer(s) to router LAN port(s).
    Plug in the modem.
    Plug in the router.
    Boot computer(s).

Getting a cell phone to work on Wi-Fi would take a pretty fantastic hack I think. :)

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Except for this issue. :)

My wife has T-Mobile, and their coverage is not nearly as good as AT&T around here, and Verizon seems to be even slightly better than AT&T.

If there is no cellular signal in the area, a cellular modem is not an option, it's really as simple as that.

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

It's not a cellular modem. The phone uses wireless networking to make calls. A cell signal isn't necessary. In fact, the lack of a signal is exactly why someone would want to use this product / service.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I assumed that her cell phone was a "regular" cell phone; DoubleHelix is apparently assuming that it is a, to invent a phrase, cell/Wi-Fi phone. I certainly withdraw my "fantastic hack" comment if DH is correct.

dixiedarling50, in light of John's last comment and my assumption, please tell us about your phone and service and what your cell phone company says about your ability to get their service over broadband internet.

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

It sounds like the OP's problem is that the modem doesn't work with an Ethernet connection. That's an issue to take up with the broadband provider. The model cell phone and type of plan is irrelevant.

For TerryNet and JohnWill, here's more info on the service.
    https://support.t-mobile.com/knowbase/root/public/tm23449.htm

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think the OP has two different, but related, problems. All but the last line of my first post were an attempt to deal with the apparent ethernet problem--to begin to see if it is operator error or a malfunction.

Where's our OP when we really need her? :)

9. JohnWill

Did you see they already have a plan they just signed up for, and it offers no service at the location?

10. dixiedarling50

dixiedarling50 Thread Starter

you are exactly right double helix I do have t-mobile cell service with hot spot @ home which uses a wireless router and my phone is a nokia 6086 which supports this. I can't get at&t to understand that I need them to reconfigure my netopia modem to be able to use an ethernet cable so I can hook the modem up to the router and router into the ethernet port in the back of my hard drive. Do you have any suggestions for me. I surely appreciate your help. [email protected]

11. JohnWill

If you have a wireless router that has a connection, consider a wireless access point to turn it into an Ethernet connection.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What "reconfiguration" do you want done on the modem? You haven't told us the model, so I have been assuming that it is just a modem that has both an ethernet connection and a USB connection. If it is just a modem, there is no configuration to be done that I know of. Just switch from using one type of connection to the other per my post #2. If you have something else, such as a modem/router combo that also has a USB port, please describe it and give the model number.

With my cable company when I used to switch from my modem's USB to ethernet port or vice versa I had to register with the company as if I had actually changed modems. I doubt that you need to do that with AT&T, but if the router is not getting an IP configuration you might ask AT&T's tech support about that particular potential issue.

Is your computer now able to communicate with the router, but the router is not communicating with the modem?

13. Dezaras

Dezaras

terrynet is correct, its true that your modem cant use the usb and the ethernet at the same time, but there is no "reconfiguration" to switch from one to the other. take out the electricity to the modem and the router, remove the usb cable and put it aside, attach the ethernet cables as mentioned above. Then, plug the modem electricity back in and wait for its connection lights to come on, then plug the router electricity in. This is the correct procedure for switching from usb to ethernet.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/691653

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice