1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wireless router help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tina1138, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tina1138

tina1138 Thread Starter

I hope I'm in the right forum..

I just had a conversation with a rep from ATT. That is my ISP. I have DSL service with them. I recently order a laptop which I have not received yet but I thought I would inquire about wireless connection because I will be wifi ready on the laptop.My desktop does not have wireless capability. He said I just needed to get a wireless adapter plug it into my usb port install the cd driver and I would be wireless thru my dsl modem... on my desktop is this true??:confused:
    I have a dell XPS 410 desktop. with Vista
    thanks Tina

2. kame_sanjo

kame_sanjo

uhh, there are usb ports on some routers for settings and information but not for networking. you need to get an ethernet cable and run it from your network card to one of the numbered ports on the back of the router. that will be the 'wired' part of the network. you said your laptop is wifi enabled so that will use the 'wireless' part of your router.

i am using a cable modem but its probably the same setup coming from the router to your computer. my desktop is wired and my wii / laptop / whatever uses wireless when needed.

3. daddyhominum

daddyhominum

4. kame_sanjo

kame_sanjo

yea they are saying they have the router already. i guess att told them to hook the usb up to the computer but all ive seen that for is firmware updates and network information.

5. tina1138

tina1138 Thread Starter

I have Dsl. I have been looking online and I geuss I have to hook the linksy system to my dsl modem to make my house wireless. Then if I want to make my desktop wireless I have to get the usb adapter. But with the linksy installed will the laptop be connected wireless? even if the desktop is not? thanks

6. tina1138

tina1138 Thread Starter

AT&T Wi-Fi Basic service is FREE and already included if you subscribe to AT&T High Speed Internet, AT&T U-verseSM High Speed Internet, or AT&T FastAccess® DSL—all speed plans included. No ordering required! Simply use your AT&T high-speed Internet membership ID and password at any AT&T Wi-Fi Basic hot spot.
    huh

7. kame_sanjo

kame_sanjo

yeas, you need to hook your dsl modem to the router with an ethernet cable. they look like phone cables but bigger, about $5-15 depending on where you look. newegg.com has them, electronic stores have them. on the back of your dsl router theres a square jack by itself that is meant to go to your computer or a router. here is some information on how to set that up.

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/moredone/wirelesssetup.mspx

for your desktop use one of the numbered ports on the back of your wireless router to hook straight into your computer's network card. the card has a port similar to your router's.

8. tina1138

tina1138 Thread Starter

thanks so much!!!;)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!