1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wireless router oddity

Discussion in 'Networking' started by smoore100, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. smoore100

smoore100 Thread Starter

Hi All

I've bought my wife a new laptop to replace her aging desktop and set it up for here this morning, everything was going fine, very straight forward connection to wireless router giving internet connectivity no pronlems.

When I then tried to connect my laptop to the printer connected and shared on her laptop I hit problems and could not find her laptop on the network, even though we are on the same workgroup.

After hours of fiddling with firewalls and config, I tried connecting my laptop to one of the wired ports on the router and now everything is working fine.

Is it normal to have to have at least one connected via ethernet? This is what I had before with her desktop so didn't hit any problems until this morning, is there are fundamental difference between wired and wireless connections?

This is a real pain, as I've not got a bloody ugly cable sticking out of the side of my nearly new, shiny laptop!

Thanks.

Simon

2. hermes

hermes

Is the windows firewall blocking the wireless sharing? If you disable it, it still has exceptions. Its a common cause of this situation. Its not uncommon to be unable to conect but unusual to not be able to even see them.

What router and OS are you running? Its tricky answering this without them.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Normally for file and printer sharing it should make no difference whether computers are wired, wireless or mixed.

What do you mean by "could not find her laptop on the network"? It doesn't show in the router's Dhcp client list? You could not ping it by IP address? You could not ping it by computer name? Something else? All the above?

4. smoore100

smoore100 Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions - it does sound like a firewall issue, but even disabling both Norton and Windows firewalls on both machines doesn't help when connecting wirelessly, I can't even ping either machine fromthe other.

But as soon as I connect one laptop directly into the Linksys router by ethernet I can ping and connect to share folers and printers without a problem.

Any more thoughts?

5. hermes

hermes

Sorry to reiterate but i would check the windows firewall settings- exceptions- and see if the wireless is checked, and uncheck if so. Other than that can you log on to the router homepage and check settings to see if there is any access-list settings and also that both devices are allowed on the wireless? Just thinking as i type i would check there are sufficient dhcp addresses allowed on the wireless, that both devices are allowed and that you have applied the settings and saved them!!! Accessing a device hanging off another member of the workgroup could be a host of things but i interested as to why you cannot see the other machine. As TerryNet asks, can you ping each other?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540203

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice