Wireless router problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Samster

I'm running a very new (couple of months old) Compaq Presario (XP home) and have just installed a wireless router. I'm using the Netgear 54 Mbps Wireless router and the WG111v2 in the USB port.

Most of the time it works great but sometimes a little info bubble appears in the system tray say my connection has 'limited or no connectivity'. Is this normal for wireless as it's a bit of a pain in the neck?

I installed the router as per the Netgear instructions with the pack although they're not the clearest i've ever read. Do i need to configure anything else on my PC.?

Samster said:
I'm running a very new (couple of months old) Compaq Presario (XP home) and have just installed a wireless router. I'm using the Netgear 54 Mbps Wireless router and the WG111v2 in the USB port.

Most of the time it works great but sometimes a little info bubble appears in the system tray say my connection has 'limited or no connectivity'. Is this normal for wireless as it's a bit of a pain in the neck?

I installed the router as per the Netgear instructions with the pack although they're not the clearest i've ever read. Do i need to configure anything else on my PC.?
No, its not normal. You may be having some intermittent interference from other electronic components. Try switching the channel and/or moving the router to a different location--the higher the better, generally.

Samster

Mulder, thanks for your advice on this at the begining of the year. However, i'm starting to think 'wireless' is more bother than it's worth. I'm still regularly getting a dropped connection and wondered if anyone could answer a couple questions for me.

1. One of the guys in PC World said if i had a cordless phone sitting between the pc and the router to move the phone out the way. Something about them both using the same frequency and the signals might be conflicting. Is this correct?

2. I'm using the NETGEAR WG111v2 in the USB port and wondered if my connection would be better if i had a wireless network card instead?

Look forward to your replies.

1. Yes but you can change the channel
2. There is not much difference

Try plugging a usb extension cable into the pc with the adapter plugged into the other end & move it around until you find a place to put it where you get a good signal.
The signal is quite often poor if the adapter is plugged directly into the pc

Routers should be wired to pcs wherever possible, the connection is always faster & more reliable.

RPT

Hi there ... I have a wireless as well (SMC rather than Netgear), and I have had the same problem. Generally its the usual suspects causing the problem ... distance between the router & the 2nd computer, walls, etc. I do think, though, that a network card might provide for a more reliable signal. That was my experience, anyway. Also, I'm told that the 2.4 gig cordless phones can interfere with wireless reception.
Cheers!

2.4 GHz appliances definitely can mess with your signal. My wireless network worked great until I got 2.4 GHz wireless controllers for the kids' playstation. Changing channels was hit or miss, but worth a try. The instructions on how to do this should in your router documentation. Rather than mess with it any further, I just ran some cat 5e through the walls.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online