1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless router problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by talpha1, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. talpha1

talpha1 Thread Starter

Hi all. I have been having some problems with my laptop connecting to my wireless router. It used to connect at 54 mbps, but now it only connects at 1 mbps. I tried changing channels and that doesn't work. I am within 10 feet of the router and the signal strength always reads excellent. My other problem is the Microsoft Wireless Zero Connection service doesn't work. It used to work fine. The wireless also seems to take forever to detect and connect to a wireless signal. I am running Windows XP SP2 on a Gateway laptop (AMD Athelon 64). I should also mention that my wireless router is secure and I live out in the sticks, so there is really no chance that someone is sucking my bandwidth. Any help would be appreciated.

2. gurutech

gurutech

Does the laptop have it's own "Gateway" wireless client installed? Many times having two wireless clients can cause conflicts that make it impossible to connect or slow connections.

What type of router do you have? There may be a setting on there to either use "auto-negotiate" the link speed, or to force it to 54Mbps.

3. talpha1

talpha1 Thread Starter

Hi gurutech,

To the best of my knowledge, there is no Gateway wireless client installed. The router is a linksys. I haven't come across any link speed setting, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.

4. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

onboard or pcmcia card?
    54mbps is a potential and totally depends on your isp.

were you seeing 54 on real dl's or testing sites?

when i setup a card on my sons laptop, the readme file, said to disable Microsoft Wireless Zero Connection.

5. talpha1

talpha1 Thread Starter

It's an onboard card in my laptop. The speed I am seeing is the speed actually shown under "Wireless Network Connection Status." I understand that I might not get the full 54 mbps, but it should be greater than 1.

6. jackdw

jackdw

I had this once. Has your computer got an IP address? Can it load pages, however slowly?

7. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

not necessarily if your isp altered the bandwith you get.

for the 2nd time, the numbers you see in wireless connection status is the potential, not the actual connect speed.

folks have the same question when they see "100 mbps" in the connection box, whether wired or wireless. potential, potential, potential.:cool:

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, the speed you see on a wireless connection is the link speed between the wireless router or access point and your wireless machine. It has nothing to do with the ISP performance at all.

9. talpha1

talpha1 Thread Starter

Right. It really isn't affecting the speed of my pages loading or anything. It is just strange that in the Wireless Network Connection Status it says that my speed is 1 mbps. I do understand that this is the speed between the router and my laptop and not the speed I am connected to the internet. I speed test it on speakeasy and it has been a little slow lately, but I know that is my isp's problem and not the connection between the router and the laptop. So, is this something I should even get concerned about or doesn't it matter at all-so far as the speed of internet is concerned? To answer someone else's question, my laptop does, of course, have an ip address (as does the router, I think) and like I said, the pages do load.

10. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

which model gateway laptop and why haven't you mentioned it? amd 64 is kinda vague.

me thinks it's old enuff that it doesn't have a "g" card and you're connecting at 11b standards, which is 1.1 mbps max, even tho you have an 11 g router.

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If your speeds decline on the 802.11g/b link after the connection, this is usually due to wireless interference. Try changing the channel on the router.

12. talpha1

talpha1 Thread Starter

Thanks. I already changed the channel and it didn't improve. The laptop is a Gateway MX6450. It is less than a year old. The card is definately 11g, otherwise I would not have posed the question. The card is: Broadcom 802.11g. The linksys router is definately 802.11g. As I mentioned, the reduction in speed is a fairly recent issue, although I haven't really changed anything. If there is any other info you need to diagnose this problem, all you have to do is ask. I am not holding anything back for any kind of devious reason as you imply. :rolleyes: Thanks again for the help.

13. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

broadcom isn't a name i'm familiar with but that means nothing.
    onboard or pcmcia?

on the 192.168......linksys setup page/wireless is "g" selected or mixed?

14. talpha1

talpha1 Thread Starter

It's onboard. I will have to check the other when I get back to my home network. I am out right now and connected to another network. BTW, the network I am connected to is at 54 mbps, which means that it is a problem solely with my home system. I can't understand it because it used to work fine and nothing has changed. No new wireless stuff in the house at all, so there can't be any interference. I will check the other question when I get home. Thanks again.

15. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

can you really download something at 54 mbps on the other network?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542190

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice