1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wireless router=same speed?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by PritomD, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PritomD

PritomD Thread Starter

Hi, I know that you may be slower if your wireless, but is the speed of being connected WITH a wire to a WIRELESS router, the same as being connected WITH a wire to a WIRED router? Thanks in advance.

2. shenrick

shenrick

:confused: lol....that was just worded weird I guess....no worries though, I've confused many a person in my posts :p Anyway, if I understand your question correctly, no you shouldn't lose any speed just because you have a wireless router between you and your modem. (If, for example, your set up is like this: cable line ----> cable modem -----> wireless router ------> computer.) That's the set up I have anyway, and have noticed no loss of bandwidth. However, my wireless laptop DOES lose bandwidth, due to the fact that it's not physically connected to the router. (Obviously, with any wireless you'll lose bandwidth). Hope this helped!

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The wired ports are wired ports. The wireless section is independent, as far as speed issues are concerned.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170808

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice