1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Router Security

Discussion in 'General Security' started by RJCaldwell, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RJCaldwell

RJCaldwell Thread Starter

I have a Belkin wireless router in my home for use with a laptop and an iPhone. I also have a wired ethernet network for my other 2 desktops.
    I believe that I have the security on the wireless router turned off because I couldn't figure out how to connect to it when I tried to install WEP. I want to install the better WPA and have no idea how to activate it and what the iPhone and laptop will encounter when they attempt to access the internet.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

You need to go to the router setup page. The address will be something like 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1 --- it should say in the manual.

3. RJCaldwell

I understand how to get to the router page using my browser but am not sure what to do when I get there. Again, I tried to set up WEP and couldn't connect to the internet - had to reset the router. Maybe I don't understand the "key" idea.

4. ~Candy~

Once you have the key set on the router, you have to use it on your computers in order to be able to connect.

You'll make that change in the settings for your LAN adapter.

5. RJCaldwell

Now I understand about making the change in the notebook LAN settings. What about the iPhone - can it handle a "key"?

6. ~Candy~

No clue on the iPhone. Sorry.

7. lunarlander

lunarlander

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754899

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice