Wireless Router Security

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

RJCaldwell

I have a Belkin wireless router in my home for use with a laptop and an iPhone. I also have a wired ethernet network for my other 2 desktops.
I believe that I have the security on the wireless router turned off because I couldn't figure out how to connect to it when I tried to install WEP. I want to install the better WPA and have no idea how to activate it and what the iPhone and laptop will encounter when they attempt to access the internet.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
You need to go to the router setup page. The address will be something like 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1 --- it should say in the manual.

RJCaldwell

I understand how to get to the router page using my browser but am not sure what to do when I get there. Again, I tried to set up WEP and couldn't connect to the internet - had to reset the router. Maybe I don't understand the "key" idea.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Once you have the key set on the router, you have to use it on your computers in order to be able to connect.

You'll make that change in the settings for your LAN adapter.

RJCaldwell

Now I understand about making the change in the notebook LAN settings. What about the iPhone - can it handle a "key"?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online