1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Router SSID problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by nick13, Nov 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nick13

nick13 Thread Starter

Hi,

I hope that someone here can help me!

my problem is that i installed a wireless network in my house several weeks ago... and for the first couple of weeks everything worked perfectly.

then one day, my PC suddenly lost it's connection whilst browsing. the other pc (my mums)is fine, so i know it's not a problem with the router or modem.

So i thought ok maybe something wrong with the wireless USB adaptor... so i switched them round with my mums pc... but it worked fine on hers... so it cant be that.

the signal strength is fine too, usually around 70%.

When my pc tries to reconnect, the signal is fine but it seems to be constantly trying to connect to the router but failing. for 3 seconds it says "connecting / acquiring network ip address" then for 3 seconds it says "not available" then it tries again and again ad infinitum.

i spoke to a couple of friends and read up about it on the net, and i found the way to solve it was to connect to my router with an ethernet cable and change the SSID, thus forcing my pc to get a new ip address.

This solution works.

However!!!

Every single day my PC loses the connection, and thus every day i have to log onto the router via ethernet and change the SSID!

This is surely not right... so does anyone have any ideas about what can be causing this? Has anyone heard of this before? I have friends who work as Network technicians but still have not heard of this before.

Best regards,

Nick

2. rvalentino

rvalentino

Interesting. To help you troubleshoot, pull up a command prompt (click start, run, type "cmd" then hit enter.) In the command prompt, type "ipconfig /all" then copy and paste the entire contents in this thread.

Without that informatin, it is tough to say what the problem is....possibly a virus, since the issue started while you were simply browsing. It sounds like it also might be a problem w/ DHCP or the encryption. I can't remember if ipconfig /all shows encryption settings, so also provide that information about your setup as well, ie WEP, WPA, any MAC filters, etc.

If you are using DHCP, how many IP's are allowed? You might have a freeloader on your wireless network using the only available IP's in the DHCP range. A fix for that would be to, first of all, configure encryption (WEP or WPA) to keep them out, and/or use static IP's for your PC's. I'm not a pro when it comes to wireless, but this is a start.

3. nick13

nick13 Thread Starter

at the current moment the wireless is working, ipconfig .all is:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : disorgan-fc4eef
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI
    Gigabit Ethernet Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-01-6C-04-02-4B

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR WG111v2 54Mbps Wireless USB
    2.0 Adapter #3
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1B-2F-74-1F-26
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.3
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 03 November 2007 13:39:38
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 04 November 2007 13:39:38

I've not set up any of the wireless specs, it's all been done by software that came with my router and USB adaptors. (I've already ensured i've got the latest drivers too)

I'ts got a password on it yes, WPA i believe.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reboot the machine.

5. nick13

nick13 Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks a lot! it's been a couple of days now and i've not had to change the SSID at all, so i think it's ok!

but... I have noticed that the connection has dropped a couple of times and i've had to re-connect again... I dont know if it's related at all?

Best regards,

Nick.

6. pedroguy

pedroguy

If it is your wireless connection only that is dropping,try changing the wireless channel(1/6/11) are preferred.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/647426

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice