1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless router unable to hold high speed connection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FuzzyWuzzy, Mar 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FuzzyWuzzy

FuzzyWuzzy Thread Starter

It has been acting up big time in the last couple days. The speed (Mbps) fluncuates up and down, and constantly disconnects me. I have tried resetting the modem, but it will still do it after some time. I have the newest filmware. Why did it just start acting up now?

It has got to be the placement of the router. I have it in its own room on the same floor as my laptop, but its on a desk about 3 ft high. Perhaps on the ceiling?

2. 4steve44

4steve44

If you put the laptop in the same room as the router does it still flucuate :confused:

3. winbob

winbob

Fuzzy,

Damn, an interesting situation! :eek:

Can you clarify what "disconnecting me" actually means?

Does your laptop lose the wireless connection to the router, OR does the router lose contact with the MODEM, OR does the MODEM lose connect to the NET?

Check the indicator lights on the MODEM and the Router. When you have lost the connection how do the status lights compare to when the setup is working?

Also, when this happens, what is the signal strength seen at the Laptop?

4. Jerold

Jerold

Mine was having something like that, except that it would drop the signal completely and I was 3 ft from the router. Turned out that my router's channel was conflicting with someone elses on my street. It took me a long time to figure that out and that was after I tried everything I could think of. I had mine set to the factory default channel which I guess everyone does when the set one up and the channels must have been crossing. I had encryption and MAC ID's set up and everything, but the channel change did the trick.

5. FuzzyWuzzy

Havent tried it lately.

6. FuzzyWuzzy

It keeps saying "aquiring network address and cut off my connection period."

THe lights on the modem and router are fine.

The signal strength will be 54Mbps one minute, then drop to say 36, then 10, then 2, then it disconnects.

7. FuzzyWuzzy

what im debating is, would it make a difference if i were to put the router right next to my damn laptop. Im so fed up with this, that i just wanna hard wire my internet. But then everytime i surf the net in the washroom, kitchen, wherever, I would have to unplug, plug in router, ....blah so much hassle.

8. FuzzyWuzzy

Ok it has to be the router, I know it is. I just got disconnected when I was at 36Mbps, then it just dropped.

9. Old Rich

Old Rich

Have you applied the latest frimware to the router . .

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I was previously asked if you tried it next to the router, I'd still like to see the answer to that. It's obvious you have a signal strength/interference issue here. You might also consider a hi-gain antenna for the router, which will increase the signal strength.

11. FuzzyWuzzy

I put the router in the same room, works fine now. I think its all about location, cuz ive been using the laptop upstairs today even further than yesterday and no disconnects. so it must have been something with that one room. hmm wierd

12. 4steve44

4steve44

Thanks John ;)

13. winbob

winbob

Fuzzy,

Did you you HAVE TO SAY THIS, "But then everytime i surf the net in the washroom.."

Now I have this image permanently burned into my mind of your Avatar sittting on the 'Throne', drawers around the ankles, typing in questions to TSG!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

About your signal strength, and being dropped....just because you're seeing 36kps reported before you get dropped means NOTHING about the signal strength at the MOMENT you are being dropped. Know what I mean???

Also, perhaps the room where the transmitter is located is not a good location? There may be more interference from the actual building's construction?

Also, the antenna pattern may not be symetrical...particularly if it is a multi-antenna model. So, turning the unit MAY make some locational difference with signal strength.

I use an access point unit for my laptop. It's located in a bedrm/office. Raising the unit from desktop height to about 6 feet boosted my sig strength from 'good' to 'excellent', as reported. (made no difference in the reported kps though)

Using an antenna add-on booster, or a "Repeater" would probably help you a lot. Having a Cat5 available for those humongous pc to pc file transfers is a good idea also.

On my Network it is the difference of 25 minutes to 5 minutes for a gb sized file!

14. 4steve44

4steve44

winbob, Do you know of a good repeater? ;)

15. FuzzyWuzzy

Yes I know what you mean bob.

I moved the router to the same room as my laptop and so far so good, hmmm. I will try wall mounting it and see if it helps, This model has 2 antennas and both are raised.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!