1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wireless router --> wireless router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by vynsane, Jan 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vynsane

vynsane Thread Starter

i searched for a while, and couldn't find anything that fit my exact situation. as of now, i have a wireless router from linksys (WRK54G) that's hooked up to a laptop through wireless and two PC's though RJ-45. i need to relocate the two PC's upstairs, and have ordered a new wireless router (WRT54GL) to hook them up to. what i want to do is have the first wireless router (still hooked up to the cable modem) transmit the internet to the other wireless router, and hook up the two PC's through the same RJ-45 to the new router.

i'm prepared to have to mess around with third party firmware and such (the reason why i got the GL - orignally got a G and it was v5 - had to bring it back b/c it can't do linux third parties) but i just wanted to make sure that it would work the way i want it to. i know i could just get wireless PCI cards, but that would only work with one machine - the other one is full up on it's expansion slots.

basically a rudimentary diagram is such:

key:
    ---- wired
    >>>>> wireless

modem --- WRK54G >>>>>>>>> WRT54GL ------ PC1, PC2

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

I don't know of any wireless router that transmits to another wireless router without a cable.

Maybe someone has some type of solution thats accepatble with the hardware you have but I am thinking trade in that router for a couple wireless cards for the PC's and a range extender if its a great distance.

3. vynsane

vynsane Thread Starter

it's only to go upstairs. my wife and i are temporarily living at a relative's house (just moved) and we don't want to drill holes or anything, and like i said, one of the PC's doens't have any more expansion slots.

i know there's firmware that lets me use the router as an access point, but i want to make sure that i can still use the RJ-45 ports the normal way, and that it's not just rebounding the wireless.

EDIT: never mind, i think i got my answer:

http://www.dslreports.com/speak/slideshow/15157701?c=947225&ret=L2ZvcnVtL3JlbWFyaywxNTE1NjYyMw==

in the descriptions to the right, "client mode (STA)": the router acts as a client, allowing wired computers to connect wirelessly to another access point."

this is using HyperWRT firmware.

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

That does in fact sound like it would work. Let me know if it indeed does I'll keep that on my list of solutions to offer in the future.

5. vynsane

vynsane Thread Starter

yep, it works. i'm typing on the computer that's hooked up to the second router right now. it's actually set to the WET (wireless ethernet bridge) setting, because it lets the second router act as a part of the original's subnet.

i have two computers and a vonage adapter hooked up to the second router, now. all working fine.

one strange thing, the older router was on channel 6 at 2.442 Ghz, but the new one said channel 6 is 2.437 Ghz. just make sure the actual Ghz is the same, not the channel, if there's a discrepancy. also, you have to change the local IP of the second router to something different within the range of the first one, and set the SSID on wireless setup to the same ID as the DHCP.

it actually went really fast! and the HyperWRT firmware is pretty quick and easy to flash.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

There are wireless routers that also have a bridge mode, apparently you found one of them. :)

7. vynsane

vynsane Thread Starter

well, no. i didn't find one that does it out of the box. i had to install third-party firmware.

8. JohnWill

Oh, I recently sold a Belkin that had bridge mode, and I've seen others. I didn't use the bridge mode, and I've never actually tried it, but a number of them exist.

9. vynsane

vynsane Thread Starter

how much are those going for? i figured anything that had those advanced features out-of-box had to be more money than the linksys...

10. JohnWill

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/433163

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice