1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless router...

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Triumphdog, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Triumphdog

Triumphdog Thread Starter

Hey there fellas. Me and my girlfriend both purchased pcs from best buy last night. With them I also purchased a wireless router. Both of my desktop pcs work just fine, and my girlfriends laptop works GREAT, good speed and everything. NOW, my internet on my laptop is slower than all crap. The signal is rated at excellent and its running 36 or 54mbps. It will access web sites, just at an unrealistic speed. I am sitting NEXT TO the wireless router so distance is not an issue. Is there any reason that hers would work so perfectly and mine would not. Thanks guys and take care.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What is the brand and model of your wireless adapter? Are you using the adapter's utility or Windows' WZC to manage the connection, and do you know that the other utility is NOT running?

Check the laptop manufacturer's web site for the latest driver and utility for your wireless adapter.

3. Triumphdog

Well sort of weird. I have not "set up" if you will, the Linksys wirelss router, on terms of "assigning" it to my specific laptops. ALSO, someone very close to me (I live in an apartment), has the EXACT same wireless router that I have. I actually disconnected (unplugged modem, router) and was connected to his. I think that mine is possibly conflicting with his. Would it help to buy a different kind or brand of router? If not, how can I set it up so that just my laptops connect to this specific router. That way I can see if there is indeed a problem with my specific wireless adapter inside my laptop. Thanks a lot!

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Change the SSID to something unique (like your name) and set the channel to minimize conflict with other networks. The non-interfering channels are 1, 6 and 11. After you get it working satisfactorily, enable WPA-PSK (or, with all new stuff, you may be able to use WPA2) to keep others off your network.

5. Triumphdog

Thanks for anyone who helped. Honestly this is ALL new to me. I ended up returning the LinksSYS and exchanged it for a netgear wireless router, and saved 10 bucks. I was able to get the router up and running with easy on screen assitance. THEN, I even set my own password so that my network is secure. So thanks a lot. I am just happy that I got it working. Take care now and goodnight.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488581

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice