1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Router ??

Discussion in 'Networking' started by swicegk, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swicegk

swicegk Thread Starter

I just purchased a Dell 1721 laptop (Vista) computer to replace my old desktop. I have Roadrunner internet. The new laptop has a wireless N card in it. Would like to hear suggestions on what router I should purchase (brand, type). Also, since I plan on doing away with the old desktop, I assume I can just connect the new router to the current modem and use the laptop throughout the house. I don't plan on doing any networking or use a wireless printer for now. Also wondering if I need to install software that will come with the new router. Thanks, Ken

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "I assume I can just connect the new router to the current modem"

That's an excellent assumption if the modem has an ethernet port; terrible assumption if the modem has only a USB connection.

To use a router you need no software other than the operating system you already have.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645931

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice